Should I have liposuction of stomach before I schedule a tummy tuck? (Photo)

I want my stomach to be as flat as possible and my surgeon is only willing to remove fat from my flanks during the tummy tuck because of blood lose. He doesn't want to remove or sculpt my tummy during the actually procedure because it could compromise blood loss. Does this make sense? Please respond. This is a second procedure. Also, it is advisable to do breast reduction before or after a tummy tuck?

Stomach liposuction and tummy tuck

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck and breast reduction.

• A very thoughtful question.
  • Your surgeon is correct - with a tummy tuck the lower skin does not need liposuction because it is removed.
  • The upper skin should have little or no liposuction to be sure your heal well.
  • The flanks can definitely be liposuctioned with a tummy tuck.
  • It is smart to have liposuction after the tummy tuck - because often you won't need it and if you do need it done, it is not so extensive.
  • A breast reduction can be done at the same time if your surgeon can keep surgery to 6 hours or less.
  • A completely flat stomach needs certain conditions - tight muscles,no loose skin and minimal fat under the skin, all  which the tummy tuck will give you to a great extent.
  • It also needs minimal internal fat around the liver and other organs.
  • So ask your surgeon how close you can get to your goal based on her/his examination.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Best order for tummy tuck and liposuction?

A detailed physical  exam and medical history is necessary  to give a definite recommendation. However, based on your photo alone, I would consider doing the breast reduction and tummy tuck  together. I would then perform liposuction 9 months to a year later, to reduce any fat deposits that may remain. These areas are typically the upper  abdomen,above the pubic area and along the side of the breasts. This is how I can fine  tune the contours. This order of procedures is useful for patients  who have achieved their  baseline ideal weight, but tend to hold on to fat  more in the upper abdomen.  In these patients, liposuction  after a tummy tuck, with diastasis recti muscle plication, does not result in looser skin. 

Best regards, Prashant Soni M.D.

Prashant Soni, MD
Danbury Plastic Surgeon

Should I have liposuction of stomach before I schedule a tummy tuck?

If there is a great deal of muscle laxity that is leading to the bulge at the upper abdomen, tummy tuck is probably reasonable.  If there is a great deal of fat causing the bulge, liposuction could be considered before the tummy tuck.

Lipo

Yes it makes sense that liposuction of the central abdominal flap can compromise the skin flap closure. You can do lipo of the abdomen and flanks first along with a breast reduction, and then come back at a later time to perform an abdominoplasty.

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low incision, all completely below the bikini line.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Lipo before or after abdominoplasty

I am not sure what you mean by a second procedure.  It is not advisable to have major liposuction at the same time as an abdominoplasty for the risk of flap necrosis.  In terms of whether to have the tummy tuck before or after breast reduction, I favor performing the abdominal surgery first, which will give you a baseline for how large or small you want the breasts to be in proportion.  That said, I perform many breast reductions which are covered by insurance and, in those circumstances, the financial considerations will dictate which operation will be performed first.