Should I have Liposuction of abdomen before I have my Tummy tuck?

Not sure if my surgeon with lipo my stomach and do my tummy tuck at the same time. Should I have the liposuction first? If I do, will this give me a better tummy tuck?

Should you have the liposuction first?

Far more important than deciding if liposuction is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

Combining a Liposuction and Tummy Tuck Procedure...

Liposuction and  Tummy Tuck are commonly performed together and usually compliment each other in regards to body contouring. The only time you might do liposuction first is if you have a lot of fat in the anterior abdominal area. Losing some weight before surgery is also something to do that will really improve your tummy tuck result. Be sure to discuss your concerns with a surgeon that specializes in body contouring surgery.

Liposuction during Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. Liposuction can be performed at the same time. Aggressive liposuction improves the contour of the lower lateral aspect of the abdomen and the upper abdomen and flanks. I would advise speaking with your board certified plastic surgeon about your goals. Best of luck.

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

No need to wait--Get VASER HI DEF Liposuction & Tummy Tuck at the Same time!

Your tummy tuck and liposuction can be done at the same time. VASER is a great option. I suggest a 4D HI DEFINITION contouring specialist if you want fat removal, contouring and skin tightening in the abdomen.  VASER liposuction can sculpt and contour the body and results can be seen immediately. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Tummy Tuck - Liposuction At Same Time?

Thank you for your question. I commonly perform liposuction at the same time as tummy tuck surgery. Please discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon. Ask to see a lot of before and after photos to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck!

Lipo and tummy tuck?

We do these procedures together in general.  However, if you have had children then I do not recommend liposcution as a stand alone procedure.  There is often very poor re-draping of the soft tissue in those patients.  That is why I recommend you do both at the same time.  This is what I do in my practice as we combine this with what we call Periumbilical sculpting.  Hope this helps.

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction before or during tummy tuck

Liposuction is typically performed in conjunction with a tummy tuck. Splitting the procedures is only done in a few very special circumstances. 

Talk to your board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns. 

Good luck!

Ryan Hoffman, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and tummy tuck

Liposuction is commonly performed at the same time as a tummy tuck, however depending on your anatomy, there are certain situations where it's safer to do the liposuction first as a separate surgery.  In order to get a qualified, expert opinion on your surgical options and expectations, always visit a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Keith M. Blechman, MD
New York, NY

Lipoabdominoplasty

A typical full abdominoplasty is a powerful procedure that can flatten and remove excess skin from both above and below the belly button and tighten the abdominal muscles. The trade off is a scar in the bikini line that extends hip to hip and a scar around the belly button. If a central tunnel abdominoplasty technique is used, liposuction of the central flap, flanks, waist, and back at the same time as the abdominoplasty is typically safe.

The improvement in contour from these procedures depends on many factors. Realistic expectations are important and weight loss prior to surgery will often improve the final outcome — especially for obese patients.

See our link below for more information.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical option. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Liposuction before tummy tuck?

These two procedures can typically be done at the same time. If being staged, not done at the same time, then I would recommend to do the liposuction first. This will allow for aggressive fat removal which can increase the amount of skin that can be removed during your tummy tuck procedure. I hope this helps.