What's the Best Laser for Skin Resurfacing?

My concerns are lines under the eyes. Enlarged pores in T-Zone and laxity of skin. I am hoping to find a doctor who is proficient in CO2 laser. I am fearful of hypopigmentation. Would like to hear from Dr. Small in Tomsriver, NJ and other local experts. Thank you!

The gold standard for laser resurfacing is the CO2 laser wavelength. An in office examination is required to assess your skin and what you are hoping to achieve.  

The attached link provides more information.

No Laser Is Best for Resurfacing

There is no one best laser for skin resurfacing. It depends on the degree of sun damage or scarring. In our practice we have milder resurfacing lasers and resurfacing lasers that go more deeply.

We tailor the treatment to the specific problem whether it is uneven pigmentation or uneven texture.

Robert A. Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing

I am not local, but am considered an expert on laser treatments. 

The CO2 laser can definitely treat your needs. Also the Erbium:Yag Laser can give similar and even better results in some cases. They are both ablative lasers.  

As far as pigmentation issues such as hyper and hypopigmentation, it depends on three factors. # 1. your baseline skin tone. Dark skin tones are harder to predict such complications. # 2. Pre treatment options and skin protection prior to the operation. You want to be at your baseline skin tone. By that I mean no tan. Winter is the best time for laser treatments. # 3. Post treatment skin care and treatments. It is key to have good dermatologic care preoperatively and postoperatively. I am a plastic surgeon but I consult my partner (who is a dermatologist) whenever it comes to these issues. If you can find a multidisciplinary practice it would be key. We all have our tricks of the trade particular to our own fields. 

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid tightening

My preference for laser tightening of lower eyelids is the Sciton erbium laser. Little to zero risk of hypopigmentation. I have patients out 10 years plus with excellent results and nothing beats it for upper lip lines.   At this point I would stay away from full field or fractional CO2 lasers.

(Disclosure - I work very closely with Sciton and am involved with their new product development and teaching)

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Depends what you are trying to achieve

CO2 and erbium fractionated lasers are non-propriety technology.  Meaning every laser company makes one, which is better is like deciding between a porshce, ferrari or a honda.  C02 is more aggressive which leads to more improvement in wrinkles but higher risk of skin pigmentation changes and longer downtime.   Erbium may have less risk of pigment problems, but may need more treatments.   Neither laser causes long term tightening of the skin.  My personal favorite device is Lutronic's Infini radiofrequency microneedling device.  While it is technically not a laser, it gives results similar to a CO2 or erbium laser in regards to pores, scars, wrinkles as well as gives tightening of the skin with only 48 hrs of downtime. 

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon