How to fix major uneven eyelids. (photos)

My eyelid and eye itself are uneven. Its super bad and people comment on them. Its quite new issue for me and its killing me inside not knowing the root cause. My eyes always hurt. I have adhd so hard to focus using my eyes. I wear glasses but my eyes still hurt. I have a lazy eye or developing one for sure. Could be so many of these factors :( please help me how would this be treated both surgically and non surgically and who do i go to???
Please click here to search for board-certified surgeons in your area.

Eyelid asymmetry

Hi and thanks for posting your question and photos.
Based on your description, it may be worthwhile seeing an ophthalmologist for your eye pain and other concerns. It is hard to say what the root cause of your problem is without a full assessment by a specialist.

Thank you for your question. A blepharopalsty (or eyelid surgery) can address uneven eyelids. Excess skin and fatty tissue are removed from these procedures and then the skin and muscle are repositioned. A formal diagnosis through your consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon will be able to answer your question about your lazy eye or other root causes.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

First off, you photos are taken to distort your facial appearance.

Your facial issues are minimal compared to others.  Those issues are not your problem.  Your problem is how your brain processes the appearance of your face.  If your are avoiding social events, school, or work because of your feeling about your appearance, this may be body dysmorphic disorder.  Treatment is not surgery in that case.  Treatment is work with mental health professionals to understand how your brain works so you have better insight and when necessary cognitive behavioral therapy and medications.  While surgery for some is more appealing than psychiatric help, surgery will not help you and it can make the situation worse.

Your eye looking "in" in your selfies appears to be simply "convergence" of the eyes to focus close up. It is common for one to dominate. Your upper eyelids are asymmetric but would require an in-person examination to fully evaluate it and make any surgical recommendations.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Asymmetry is common, but can be addressed

Thanks for sharing your photos. We note that you have asymmetry of the face- a very common issue- and your left brow and upper eyelid space has less volume than the right side. 

This is can be treated easily with a filler injection via cannula- which is a non surgical, no down time office procedure that can be performed by a specialist that is experienced with fillers in the eye region. This treatment is low risk and reversible in case you don't like it. (It's unlikely that you won't like it.)

A permanent way to address the asymmetry is to fill the volume deficit with your own fat. This does require a short trip to the operating room, but is still considered a minimally invasive procedure.  The benefit of the fat transfer is permanent results. 

Good luck to you!

Tanuj Nakra, MD, FACS
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

The ocular discomfort is not normal, and an examination by an Ophthalmologist is extremely important. Please see an ophthalmologist for a complete ophthalmic examination as soon as possible. Your problem needs treatment to get you seeing clearly and to eliminate your pain and discomfort. Best wishes.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon