Is vulva pain normal after a TT?

Hello. I am 13 days post op from a full TT and lipo. I am having sharp sporadic pain on the upper part of my vulva. I know swelling is normal, but is pain normal? How long will this last? It has been happening for 2 days. Thank you

Doctor Answers 4

Post Op Vulva Pain

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Tension or bruised nerves could be causing your pain. Swelling in this area is normal and should resolve over the next month. I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon to examine you in person if you have ongoing concerns.

Take care

Vulvar pain

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Swelling in the mons and even vulva is not unusual after abdominoplasty and pain can be caused by the swelling or pulling of the mons and vulva. Some of the sharp pain can be attributed to sutures being pulled by the swelling and tight abdominal closure. 

If the pain continues beyond the two weeks it would be wise to have your board certified plastic surgeon see you. 

Leon Goldstein, MD
Madison Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Vulvar pain

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Pain in the area of the vulva after tummy tuck is unusual.  Swelling in the area is common. Pain that persists should be evaluated by your surgeon.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Pain in the vulva is not usually normal 2 weeks post-op

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is not typical to have pain in the actual vulva after tummy tuck, although there certaily could be pain and swelling in the mons pubis, the pubic area just in front of the pubic bone and just above the vulva, especially if there was any sculpting or repositioning of that area.  I have seen instances in which a lot of tension was placed on the pubic area, which in turn pulled quite firmly on the vulva, distorting the labia and clitoris immediately after surgery, too, and this is another possiblity.  Much of the answer to this question depends upon exactly which structures in the vulva are affected, and what things look like.  Are there any signs of infection?  Blood supply issues?  abnormal swelling or fluid collection?  These are all things that would be important to know, and which only your surgeon can really determine.  Thus, the best thing for you to do at this point is call your surgeon's office and report your symptoms to them.  They will be able to physically evaluate the area and tell what is going on and what needs to be done to address any problems they might detect.  Don't think that you are being a bother, and don't just ignore it and expect it to pass.  If it is persisting, I think it should be checked out.  Best of luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.