How many sessions are needed of Fractional Laser Resurfacing (Palomar) to see a change in the skin?

Im 37 years old with some fine lines and pigmentation issue due to pregnancy and skin damage. I had my first fractional laser today and I am curious if it is likely I will nee dot gave two more before I see results. What is your experience with a woman of my age?

Cha-Cha-Changes--Getting great results with lasers, viva, microneedling/prp for lines and pigmentation

This depends solely on the individual and the quality of their skin at time of treatment. Sometimes a combination is needed: Fraxel/Clear+Brilliant, Co2, Viva, Microneedling/prp and Ipl treatments for best results. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Laser resurfacing

Laser resurfacing should be customized to your individual needs and goals. The more sun damage, time, and exposure you have accrued, the greater yovour needs will be for your resurfacing procedure and the more downtime you will have.

Your downtime will be directly proportional to the results that you get out of your laser. There is no magic bullet or way around this reality. Younger patients with less damage tend to have shorter downtimes and fewer treatments necessary. Ablative, fractional lasers like CO2 tend to be a one time treatment, without a built-in plan for subsequent treatments. 

It is a fair comparison to say that doing three treatments that each have three days of downtime is equivalent to doing one larger treatment that has nine days of downtime. 

Take this into consideration when making you treatment plan and deciding how aggressive you want to be with individual treatments to both meet your end cosmetic goals and fit into your life schedule.

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut
#realself500 Physician

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon