Is there a way there a way to create some more distance (or the illusion of distance) between my nose and eyes?

I know that anything involving the nose requires rhinoplasty but is there a way there a way to create some more distance (or the illusion of distance) between my nose and eyes?

Rhinoplasty

Dear Richard 7027:

Thank you for your question. Without photos and a physical examination it is impossible to answer. Pleas seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon. The Rhinoplasty society is a good place to start. Good luck and I hope this helps!

Rhinoplasty and Facial Symmetry

Without seeing you in person or photos, it is literally impossible to comment. My best advice would be for you to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to be assessed in person and discuss options. A rhinoplasty, when done well, will change your facial symmetry which will definitely affect the relationship between the nose and the eyes. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Nose-eye Facial proportions can be adjusted.

Thank you for your intriguing question.  I'm in the unique situation of being a rhinoplasty and oculoplastic surgeon who has also undergone rhinoplasty myself for your exact concern. 

The science behind beauty involves several "ideal aesthetic beauty proportions"  such as the rule of fifths and the rule of thirds. The rule of fifths divides the face vertically into five equal segments. The central segment is the width of the nose, the next two out are the width of the eyes, and the next two out are the region from the lateral corner of the eye to the side of the face.   When these segments are equal, we have ideal beauty proportions.  The rule of thirds involves dividing the face horizontally into thirds: top of the forhead to the top of the nose, top of the nose to the bottom of the nose, and the bottom of the nose to the base of the chin. 

When the eyes are relatively close together (think Rhea Pearlman), the rule of fifths is not met.  This is the situation you're describing, and it can be adjusted most easily by narrowing the width of the nose, and possibly making adjustments to the nasal and possibly orbital proportions.  There are various techniques to perform these maneuvers depending on your specific anatomy.  Keep in mind that narrowing the width of your nose may create other nasal proportion issues that would need to be adjusted simultaneously to achieve the best final outcome.   Also, sometimes manipulation of the eyelid and orbital tissues for more substantial cases of Nose-Eye disproportion  would require an experienced oculoplastic surgeon. It would be worthwhile to meet with several rhinoplasty and oculoplastic specialists in your area to inquire further about options that would be right for you. Sometimes you can find that skill set in the same surgeon. I wish you the very best !

Tanuj Nakra, MD, FACS
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Is there a way to create some more distance between my nose and eyes?

A full set of facial photographs are required to make a determination about what can be accomplished. If the patient has a large dorsal hump, that can be shaved down so that the width of the nose is wider. In addition, spreader grafts can also widen the distance of the nose which gives the illusion of making the eyes wider. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Nasal evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Hi Richard,

The procedure we do to narrow the nose called an osteotomy is able to narrow it below the level of the eyes but not between them. Unfortunately that bone between them is linked to the sinuses so cannot be broken without untoward effects. I wish I had a procedure I could recommend but safety is most important. 

Hope that helps!

Jeffrey Watson, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon