Removing and replacing piercings before and after augmentation. Any suggestions?

I am having a breast augmentation with a periareolar incursion. I currently have a nipple and a vaginal piercing. Will I have to remove the vaginal piercing before the procedure (I know the nipple rings have to be removed)? Also will I be able to put my nipple rings in after the procedure is over? They are healed, but I am worried about them closing up post op.

Piercings and Surgery

Body piercing pose a serious potential risk for surgery and need to be removed to allow a safer performance of surgery. No surgeon likes the surprise of finding piercings on the OR table which force cutting the piercing if it cannot be removed. Most surgeons would allow you to put them back after the surgery Is over. 
Dr. Peter A. AldeaMemphis, TN

#piercing #removal #breastaugmentation

Thank you for your questions. All jewelry, dentures and body piercings must be removed. You can put them all back in the day after surgery.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Body Piercings and Surgery

All body piercings must be removed before surgery can begin. This includes jewelry made of any type of metal. I do not see a problem replacing them once the surgery is completed. Please make sure to keep these areas extremely clean. You do not want any increased risk of infection to the breast area.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

All body piercings need to be removed before surgery

All body piercings need to be removed before surgery.  They can be replaced after the procedure is over.  The openings do not close up when the piercing is removed, the holes are permanent.  During surgery we place our patients in an electrical circuit to cauterize blood vessels, any metal to metal contact will cause a burn, so all metal jewelry (piercings) need to be removed.  If a piercing is not in the operative field (labia piercing), the metal piercing can be swapped for a plastic piercing if desired and then switched back to metal after the procedure.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Piercings and breast augmentation.

Piercings will need to be removed during the surgery. For my patients with nipple piercings, I routinely replace the piercings for them after the incisions are closed and have skin glue applied. Best regards

Thank you for your question. Typically all piercings need to be removed before surgery. Depending on the surgeon's recommendations, you should be able to put the rings back in after surgery. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD