Looking for an opinion. Had a consult and am thinking about 350cc gummy bear implants. (Photo)

I don't know much about them but I want to know how natural they look/feel. Also, is 350 too much for 5'2 106 lbs. athletic build, but small frame? I'm petite and 21 with very small, 32A breasts. I would like them to look normal and as real as possible but also worth the trouble. Would love some advice, thanks in advance.

Implant size

Implant size is an individual choice.  Your surgeon may guide you in the process but it is really up to you.  It takes a different size on everyone to may them happy.  I use sizers in my practice as I find that this gives me the best idea of what my patient is looking for.  Also it almost directly translates to what I would need to place in them.  Get a second opinion to feel more comfortable.

Implant Selection

Thank you for your question. It is much better to accurately discuss implant volume and projection with an in office exam and detailed measurements.

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements/characteristics. I use these measurements to help me during the sizing process to guide you to a safe result for your chest wall and just as important, one that meets your end desires.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor. The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant. It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you during the sizing process.

In addition, review of photos and use of rice bags can be very helpful to the patient and surgeon in achieving a safe and happy result. Close intereaction and involvement from your surgeon during this process can help alleviate the anxiety and fears of choosing the right size.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Looking for an opinion. Had a consult and am thinking about 350cc gummy bear implants.

My over the internet guess is 350 cc also. But only y=try on sizers could help..... See more PSs in your area....

Advice re breast implants

Hi and thank you for your question and photograph. Without a full clinical examination all that should be said is that based on your photographs that seems to show small but normally shaped breasts it is likely that with a good surgeon you should achieve a lovely result with breast implants. Choose a fully accredited plastic surgeon. Good luck

Sultan Hassan, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Gummy bear

Although gummy bear implants might suggest a more natural slope, they do tend to stay much more stiff.  They don't move around or create cleavage easily.  I find that a modest round (mod plus profile) 350cc implant can give a very nice athletic look and feel great too.  But if your surgeon is comfortable using the shaped implants and thinks they will feel natural (and your okay with the cost increase) then I believe you would look good with those as well.  

Aras Tijunelis, MD
Libertyville Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and picture.  Based on your photograph, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.  

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant type/size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Are 350cc implants right for you?

This really depends upon your breast measurements. We utilize a system of 5 measurements (including breast width, nipple to fold distance, etc.) that helps me determine the optimal size implant for your breast pocket. This also helps me deliver the 24 hour recovery for my patients. Remember, you don't want to be "overstuffed" but you also don't want to be "understuffed!" I prefer to use smooth, round silicone implants because they give a great result, feel soft, and are less expensive than the anatomical shaped. Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon who takes the time to properly examine you and tell you the correct size implant for your body! Good luck!!

Gummy bear implants are over-rated. Smooth round breast implants are usually a better option.

Gummy bear implants are shaped silicone gel implants.  They are more expensive than regular silicone gel or saline implants.  The problem is, they are too firm.  They do not have the squishy consistency of natural breasts.  They do not tend to provide the jiggle.  They are also more expensive than regular silicone gel implants (nonshaped, circular implants).  350 cc is not too much if you want a full C size.  My average volume is 400 cc.  So I would recommend either saline or silicone gel, smooth, round implants.  You can check some examples on my website if you like.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon