Loose skin after extended tummy tuck with muscle repair? (Photos)

I had an extended tummy tuck 6 weeks ago, i am concerned because i still have loose skin. When i am standing up it looks great but i can still grab skin on my stomach and if i bend down it will sag. Is this normal?. I do not believe its swelling. Can this be fixed with a tummy tuck revision? Maybe i needed a Fleur de lis.

You need up and down excision on your tummy.

This is vertical component of your excess tummy skin. Only excision of this excess will get rid of it. It will need up and down scar on your abdomen. Not exactly a Fleur de lis now since you already have had your tummy tuck.

Loose skin after extended tummy tuck with muscle repair

Thank you for your question. Look like you have laterally excess skin. Please wait 6 months and re evaluate. If it bothers you flor de- lis resection can be done to tighten further.

Excess horizontal skin after a tummy tuck

I agree with the previous reviewers in that it is really too early to tell the final result. You may be pleasantly surprised in 6 months or so.  However in many patients, excess skin exists in the horizontal direction (across your abdomen) as well as vertical (Up and down). We do standard tummy tucks because the resulting scar is low (and hides better) and, although a significant compromise, acceptable given the improvement that results. A Fleur-de-lis tummy tuck removes the horizontal excess by making a midline scar (below ribs to pubic area) and can be a very visible permanent scar. In patients with lots of horizontal excess, that is the big compromise they must accept to get improvement. Many patients refuse that procedure because of the scar. Give your surgery time to heal and mature and you may be very happy. If there is still excess skin as you are showing, you can consider completing the Fleur-de-lis procedure but you will have to accept the additional scar. That can be a difficult choice. Best wishes in your recovery.

Donald W. Hause, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin after TT

It looks like you had a standard transverse incision tummy tuck.  And your results appear to be good.  It is very early after surgery.  Your skin, which doesn't have the best tone as evidenced by extensive stretch marks, got stretched when the extra skin was removed and then stretched some more when everything swelled.  Now the swelling has gone down and you are noticing excess skin.  This will improve over time as your skin snaps back into shape.  Whether this will occur to your satisfaction remains to be seen.  I would give it 6 months before you make any judgments about final results.  If things are then not the way you want, discuss treatment options with you Plastic Surgeon.  One of those options may be adding a vertical incision to correct horizontal skin laxity, or the so-called "Fleur de lis".

Loose skin after Tummy Tuck

Hello,  thank you for your question and photos.   I think it's too early to predict your final outcome. However it's evident that lateral excess of skin will most likely remain after 6-12 months.   Fleur-de-lis procedure might be an option for you in the future. Have a great day. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD