I am having sporadic shooting pains in my abdomen 7 weeks after my tummy tuck. Is this notmal?

Pain after a tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for the question.I would suggest following up with your doctor so that she/he can make a better determination as to the cause of your pain. In general, ill-defined sharp pains are not that uncommon after tummy tuck surgeries and in some cases can last for several months.Warmest Regards,Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck pain

Thanks for your inquiry, but without an exam it is hard to advise on your particulars.  But, it is not uncommon to have some pain in your tummy with physical exertion for a couple of months.

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery!  After a tummy tuck the nerves of the skin are stretched as a result of swelling and tension.  This stretching irritates the nerves which can cause a number of different skin sensations including increased/decreased sensitivity or a burning/electrical feeling.  These normally resolve spontaneously given enough time.  Hang in there and be sure to mention these issues to your surgeon during your post-operative appointments. 

This is a very common symptom after tummy tuck. It is related to the regeneration of new nerves and the swelling, inflammation , and healing of old nerves. These issues will go away with time as you are still very early in your recovery process. We commonly pretreat and post treat our patients with gabapentin which can help with the symptoms in the early post op period. Follow up with your plastic surgeon for his or her particular recommendations and treatment protocol for these symptoms.