Glandular tissue can be excised with only traditional liposuction method?

Hello, my doctor uses only traditional liposuction method for gynecomastia and said that "i can excise glandular tissue with special cannulas". Is it right? She showed lots of before and after pictures to me and all of them seemed that very good but i can't be sure i am confused.

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

The chest needs special work to get improvement with gynecomastia and this includes ultrasonic cavitation of the gland and chest, as well as surgical removal of the remaining gland.  Please see an expert.   Traditional liposuction does very minimal for gynecomastia.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Gynecomastia and glandular tissue removal

Gynacomastia is quite common as more men take various supplements that can change the way body metabolizes hormones. BodyTite is a great way to remove fat, gland and tighten the skin of patients with gynecomastia. At the same time, it is important to understand that the direct surgical excision has the most guarantees but also significant risks.
I recommend that you seek a doctor experienced with gynecomastia therapies and have a thorough consultation and assessment prior to proceeding with any treatments.
I hope that helps and best regards, Dr. Sapijaszko.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Excision of glandular tissue

Patients with very firm and glandular tissue sometimes do better with a direct excision. This can be done during the liposuction procedure or as the second procedure afterwards if needed. The majority of my gynecomastia patients do not need an open excision of glandular tissue. I use a combination of power assisted liposuction with laser liposuction. Whenever I think someone may benefit from an open excision I will ask the patient to agree to have this done if needed during the procedure if needed. Most of the time I don't need to make that an opening but when I do I have the ability to do so to get the best results on a consistent basis. Experience is very important in determining when an open excision is needed versus liposuction alone. I don't know of any special cannulas that can remove glandular tissue. VASER can be very effective at removing firm glandular breast tissue. If your plastic surgeon is talented then she will deliver good results for you. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Thank you for your excellent question.  Depending on the quality of the gynecomastia tissue liposuction alone can be used to correct chest fullness, but if your tissues are more dense, rubbery, and thick only direct glandular excision with a lower areola incision can successfully remove this tissue.  Hope this helps.

Gynecomastia cannulas

They do make certain liposuction cannulas designed for gynecomastia. they usually are a bit sharper then regular liposuction cannulas. I prefer vaser liposuction to traditional liposuction for gynecomastia but you can get excellent results with traditional liposuction. Note that liposuction, whatever the technique, will not work on all gynecomastia and excision of dense glandular tissue may be needed.

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction for gynecomastia

Thank you for asking about your gynecomastia reduction.
  • Some plastic surgeons do remove gynecomastia tissue with sharpened cannulas.
  • I have tried it and found, for me, surgical excision easier but both are acceptable if the results are good.
  • If you have confidence in your surgeon, she is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and her results are good - then you seem to be in good hands.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS