When should drains be removed after Tumescent Liposuction?

I had tumescent liposuction of my abs flanks, back and bra rolls two weeks ago and I still have drains. The doctor refused to take my drains out one week post op and I'm wondering if it's safe to still have my drains in. I'm thinking of going to the hospital to have they're moved. I'm still draining fluid at about 15-20 ccs on each of my drains. Should I have them removed? I want to do what's best for my recovery but these drains are painful and impeding my ability to perform my job. Please help.

Drains

Hi,

Thank you for your question. We do not use drains for liposuction. For other procedures when we use drains that amount in 24 hours would be acceptable to remove a drain. Please follow up with your plastic surgeon prior to removing any drains since he was the one that did the surgery and knows best.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Drains

I do not use drains with just liposuction, but would suggest calling your doctor first and discussing how much longer you need drains.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Speak to Your Doctor

I would suggest calling and to speaking to your surgeon about your concerns. For your aftercare, I do recommend adding RF treatments (Venus Legacy, Exilis, Ultra, Vanquish) along with shock/vibration therapy Cellutone/z wave and hyperbaric oxygen and compression in order to decrease swelling and improve results. Best, Dr. Emer