Does this look like I need antibiotics? (photos)

I just had a breast lift 3 weeks ago. It is the weekend so I can't reach my doctor. I am worried i have an infection. My breasts are sore but have not increased in size. Overall I feel alright, no fever. What should I do?

Wound healing

You have some wound healing issues at the T junction which can happen. I would contact your PS for advice and if you can't get hold of your PS contact the hospital and ask to be put through to him/her. You have some wound healing issues and it is impossible without examining you to determine whether there is an infection.

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Contact Surgeon Regarding Infections

The patient will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days.All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk. Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible. Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation. #Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem.  The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”.  These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. If you are concerned with the healing of your scars it would be a good idea to get in touch with your doctor's office or answering service as soon as possible to make sure you have someone to see in person for an evaluation. Best of luck to you!

Breast lift infection

It does not look like you have an infection. You have some skin loss at the lower T incision, which is within the range of normal. You always should be able to reach your surgeon. I would encourage you to call their office and make it happen!

Follow-up appointment

Hi there. You will need a follow up appointment as soon as possible. It is not uncommon to develop a wound in that area of the breast after surgery. If you don't have a fever you are in good stead but you can still develop a superficial skin infection. Accordingly, you should see your plastic surgeon. 
Be well

Does this look like I need antibiotics?

You should always be able to reach your surgeon or the surgeon taking call for him.  Leave a message on his office phone / answering service.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breast Lift / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

Thank you for your question. Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Wound issues

You should be able to call you doctor anytime. If he is not available, he most likely has a covering doc.  Best of luck.

Does this look like I need antibiotics

Thank you for submitting your question.  Without a physical examination, difficult to evaluate. You have developed skin necrosis.  The wound does not appear infected but an examiantion is essential to rule that out.   Please visit with your Plastic Surgeon today to discuss your concerns and for an examination. Best wishes

Breast lift infection?

From the photo it looks like you have some cellulitis along the skin next to the open wound area. I would start you on antibiotics now. You should get in touch with your plastic surgeon. You can call the hospitals that he or she is affiliated with - they will know how to get in touch after hours. 

Breast wound

Thanks for your inquiry, but without an exam it is hard to advise about therapy.  Even though it is the weekend, someone should be on call for your surgeon.  At the minimum,   if you needed an antibiotic, someone needs to call it in!  Good Luck.