Will I achieve the size I intended? (Photo)

I recently had Breast Augmentation May 19, 2016 . I was originally a 34A . The decision on implant size was by far the most difficult decision I had to make , taking into consideration I'm 30 years of age with no children just as yet . I originally decided to go with 550 saline moderate , but after watching so many YouTube videos I decided to take it down to 525cc saline moderate . I'm 5'9 slim built 158 , will I achieve an 34DD or 34DDDD . I'm 1 month post op

Will I achieve the size I intended?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Remember that the importance of cc selection is in achieving a shape and size that best meets your expectations and not necessarily cup size as each bra manufacturer will have a different sizing system.  It looks as if you will have a nice result but as you are in the early recovery period the swelling from surgery is flattening your implants and holding them high on your chest. Though they will not get bigger, the volume within the implant will redistribute towards the lower portion of your breast achieving a more natural appearance, and filling your bra cup more. I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. Hope this helps.

Post Op Bra Cup Size

Thank you for your question and photos. Unfortunately bra cup sizes are impossible to predict or promise. You will need to wait until you've completely settled and healed at 6 months to evaluate results. You may measure differently with different bra manufacturers as well.

All the best

Achieving your desired cup size

It looks like your early outcome is doing well.  You chose large implants so they are still sitting high in your photos, but they should settle.  What I tell patients is that the only way I can guarantee their cup size is if they let me go bra shopping with them!  Before surgery women fully understand that they can go pants or bra shopping to 3 stores the same day and get size 3 different sizes.  After surgery I tell them that it will absolutely be the same.  It depends on whether you are fitted as a 32, 34 or 36 band size, and whether you go to Victoria Secrets, Nordstroms or somewhere else.  If a patient is set on a very particular bra cup size, then that will be a recipe for disappointment.  Rather, I tell patient we want you to love your breasts both in clothing as well as topless in front of the mirror at home.  If you achieve that, it doesn't matter what letter the girl in the mall says you are.  With all that said, looking at your photos, I'd bet most fitters will put you at least a DD.  

Eric Mariotti, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Will I achieve the size I intended with breast augmentation?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward may assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants). The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger.

Online consultants will not be able to predict, with any reliability/accuracy, what cup size you will end up wearing. You will need to go bra shopping/fitting; in my practice, I ask patients to wait 3 to 6 months before doing so. Don't be surprised, at that time, if you end up different wearing different bra cup sizes, depending on who makes the bra. Generally speaking, I ask my patients not to communicate their goals and/or evaluate the outcome of breast surgery in terms of achieving a specific cup size ( given the variability in the measurement of cup sizes…).
Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with, regardless of the specific cup size achieved.