Am I a good candidate for a facelift?

I'm 20 and I wanted s facelift because my skin sags a little under my chin and my eyes sag and my cheeks do and I look older. What should I do to make my fave look my age?

Facelift at age 20

It is very difficult to give an opinion without photos or a person to person consult. I would be highly unusual for a 20 year old to need a facelift. My best recommendation is to go and seek the opinion of a board certified physician by the ABFPRS or the ABPS.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift at age 20

It would be highly unusual to require a facelift at age 20.

While it's difficult to give you a specific answer, without seeing your photos or you in person, I would probably bet that many of your appearance concerns could be treated in much less invasive ways at this stage.  Maybe some fillers or other methods of non-surgical skin rejuvenation.

Best to see a local board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss.

Am I a good candidate for a facelift?

Without examining you it's difficult to give specific advice but at 20 you should not be considering a facelift unless you have a specific medical condition that causes premature aging. The only way to know what might help you is to book a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon near you to see what your options are. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Facelift Candidates

Dear marie_954,

If the surgery takes place at age 50, the individual getting the surgery will look ten years younger. So, although they are chronologically 50, they appear to be 40. But that conveyor belt of time keeps moving forward.If you look at that same individual ten years later, he or she will now be chronologically at the age of 60, but will still look ten years younger, which at this point would be 50. It is for this reason that many people continue to have cosmetic surgeries. However, this is certainly not necessary.

For a facelift to be successful, the anatomical changes of aging must be reversed. A modern facelift does not just tighten the skin. This gives a windblown and unnatural appearance. Instead, the most advanced techniques refinish the skin, reposition and contour unfavorable fat deposits, and tighten the muscles. This creates a natural appearing and long lasting, youthful facelift.

Ross A. Clevens, MD, FACS

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for a facelift?

Thank you very much for your question. However, at age 20 it is highly unlikely that you would be in need of a facelift. There are certain extenuating circumstances, but a photograph and a physical examination would be needed before anyone could give you more detailed advice. I recommend a consultation with a Board Certified plastic surgeon, where you could further discuss your individual issues, and all possible alternatives for improvement could be explained in detail.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

A facelift is probably not your answer

Unless you've gained and lost 100lbs, a facelift is probably not what you need.  You're young and although you may feel you have some lose skin, it is probably not worth the risk of a facelift at such a young age.  Photos would certainly be helpful, but you may benefit from other things like facial implants or fillers.  Preventative skin care is also extremely important at your age.  See a board certifies Plastic Surgeon in your area to discuss your concerns in person and proceed with caution.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Facelift in your 20s

Hello Marie_954,

Although there is no specific age for a facelift, 20 would certainly be very early.  Based on your description there are less invasive treatments that may be of benefit before considering a more aggressive surgery.  This may involve a a resurfacing procedure such as a chemical peel or laser to help the appearance of the skin and provide some tightening.  It may be using selective liposuction to improve contours.  Using topical creams can also help the appearance of the skin.  To prevent further damage avoiding UV light and smoking (if you do smoke or are around those who smoke) can help to prevent premature aging of the skin.  If none of these work then discussing surgery with an accredited surgeon who is skilled with facelift surgery (such as a facial plastic surgeon) would be the next step in deciding if you are an appropriate candidate for surgery.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is 20 too soon for a facelift?

Without seeing photos of you or examining you in person, it's difficult to know what would be best to help you achieve the results you are hoping for. What I do know is that a majority of those in their twenties are not ready for a facelift. There are non-surgical options for you to consider including cosmetic injectables (fillers) and lasers which can help tighten the skin. Liposuction combined with ThermiRF may also be helpful for the saggy skin under your chin. I encourage you to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who can examine your face, learn more about your goals, and determine the best course of action.

Thank you for your question.  Without photos it is difficult to say, but chances are that at your age, you do not need a facelift.  Instead, you should consider fillers, Botox, or a possible chin augmentation.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Facelift at age 20

Thank you for your question.  Generally it is helpful to see photos, however in your case even without photos I can say that you are too young for a facelift.  While anatomy is what we use to determine the best time to perform a facelift, this is generally not performed until one is at least in their 40s and more commonly not until one is in their 50s.

Josh Surowitz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon