I'm asymmetrical - Is it worth doing revision surgery? (photos)

Clearly I'm asymmetrical, as one if my areola's is so far up and the other is perfect! My surgery was 3/21/16, I removed my 1st set of implants a s went smaller. I love the new size and feel but one areola/nipple is ridiculously too high and to the left. Will I need surgery on both breast although the other is fine? This is so depressing. My surgeon is in Miami and I live in Atlanta donuts difficult.

Asymmetry after breast implant revision

Thank you for your question and photos.  It would be helpful to see what your breasts looked like prior to this latest surgery.  Regardless, you do appear to have some lower pole stretch in that left breast, which makes the distance from your nipple to the fold longer and makes the nipple appear higher.  Your skin just may not have the elasticity to support the weight of an implant without over-stretching.  I would wait at least 6 months before pursuing revision surgery.  I would tell my patient, in this case, to keep the breasts supported in a bra as much as possible, to help prevent further stretch.  And I would consider using ADM (acellular dermal matrix) during a revision, as that collagen sheet would add more support for the weight of the implant.

Dr. Kavali

Post Operative Nipple areola asymmetry

Sorry to hear that you are bothered by this but a few pieces of advice. Even though there is a large difference now you are still early post op. Things will change and the areola diameter will also enlarge. This changes in your breast dynamic will alter the appearance. Wait at least 6 months to decide on a revision. All the best
Bair Ghazi

Bahair Ghazi, MD

Wait a few months before revision for asymmetry after lift and implant replacement

At only a few weeks after surgery, there may be further settling and changes that could affect the plan for repositioning the nipple-areola for better symmetry. It may be something simple that could be done under local anesthesia, but not possible to say whether both sides or just one.

Richard Baxter, MD

NAC asymmetry

You are best off waiting at least 3-6 months to allow things to settle and see how things heal prior to proceeding with a revision.  With that being said, this issue is likely to not resolve on its own.  Unfortunately you like the lower one and it is much harder to lower a high nipple than it is to raise a lower one.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and decide if it is the higher level of the areola which bothers you or just that they are not symmetric.  Good luck

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Symmetry issue

You need to wait several months for the tissues to soften. Adjustments can probably be attempted if you are still not satisfied after that time.

Breast Asymmetry

You are correct.  There is both areolar height asymmetry and some shape difference by the photos.  That said it would be wise to wait a few months to see if settling may occur on its own.  
I would leave the right side alone.
Best of luck.

James L. Moore, MD
Athens Plastic Surgeon

Revision surgery

Perfect symmetry is not possible naturally; nor is it possible after surgery.  Modest differences will always exist.  That being said, revision surgery can always try to improve surgery once healing has stabilized.  Given that you are 2 months out I would wait another several months before going back to your PS to discuss revision options. 

John Y.S. Kim, MD, FACS

I'm asymmetrical - Is it worth doing revision surgery?

YES you are asymmetrical to volume and N/A placement and revision indicated. Best to either return to the clinic or seek new surgeons. 

I'm asymmetrical - Is it worth doing revisionary surgery?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after revisionary breast surgeon.  Generally speaking, whether additional breast surgery would be indicated would depend (to a great degree), how much the breast (and/or areola) asymmetry concerns you. 

Based on your description, it sounds like you will be much happier  once you have  improve the symmetry with additional revisionary surgery. In my opinion, removal of additional skin (?tissue) of the lower breast pole may be enough to improve the symmetry.

Needs a revision

In my opinion from your photographs, both breasts are bottom out left more than right and will necessitate a secondary revision for symmetry.  Follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS