Working out after BBL, when can I start? (photo)

I am 7 weeks post op ,BBL, and I would love to start working out. I love my results and I wish to keep my full butt . Would I loose my new butt if I start doing squats and some upper body exercises??

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Working out after BBL, when can I start?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... you can start working out after 8 weeks with cardio without any problems. you should be walking before that time. You will get even better if you move!!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Working Out After Brazilian Butt Lift

You can "work out" or exercise right after your BBL. It all depends on what level of activity you are asking about. In my practice, I advise my patients to walk that very day when they get home from surgery. They can start a walking regimen even the day after surgery and at 6 weeks can start building up to their baseline workout. The key after BBL is to allow the fat to stabilize in its new home for the first 2-3 months. You can definitely work out, but avoid losing weight in the first 2-3 months. This shouldn't be that hard to do for as we all know, there are many people who work out and don't lose weight due to excess calorie consumption. Conversely, I wouldn't advise going to the other extreme by gaining weight and undoing all of the work of your plastic surgeon! Discuss this concern with your plastic surgeon to get the best personalized advice for you.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

When to start working out after a BBL

Thank you for your question. The best person to advice you is your chosen surgeon as every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures. Normally, patients can return to light activities almost immediately after surgery, normal activities 2 weeks after surgery, and vigorous exercise 4 weeks after surgery.  We usually experience a slow steady improvement for 3 months or so after surgery.

BBL and workout

I usually allow patients to workout a few weeks after a BBl. Best to ask your surgeon for the OK....

Thank you for your question and photograph.

I would discuss with you surgeon to see when he feels comfortable clearing you to begin exercising again. I recommend that my patients wait at least 6 weeks before easing back into their regular fitness routine but it is important to remember that it may take some time to return back to your prior strength. Glute-targeting exercises can be beneficial in growing the gluteal muscles and giving you a perkier, rounder buttocks but you want to cautious of the workouts you are doing and your nutrition. An important key to long lasting results after a BBL is maintaining a stable weight. If your weight fluctuates too much then this can affect your results. If you maintain a healthy, balanced lifestyle without losing or gaining significant weight then you should be able to see long lasting results from your BBL. Best of luck.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon