How much weight would I have to gain for a Brazillian Butt lift?

I am curious as to how much weight I would have to gain to achieve an excellent, well-rounded butt. I'm average built at the moment and only weigh about 120lbs. I've done some research, and I discovered fat grafting is the healthiest route. I know I can gain the weight if I stop working out and begin to eat more carbs. Are there any negative drawbacks to this surgery? I was also wondering if anyone would recommend a few amazing surgeons in Atlanta. Thank You! :)

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. Since you didnt provide any pictures, I suggest you to get a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon that can help you with your desired look honey..

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, it's difficult to give exact recommendations without photos, an in person consultation or more information. Generally speaking, fat transfer is a great option for those with enough to transfer. You should be at a stable weight when undergoing fat transfer though, because if you lose weight after the procedure, you will lose fat in your bum as well. If a patient does not have enough fat for a transfer, gluteal implants are also an option. You should make sure you're working with a board certified plastic surgeon for precise recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Weight gain for a BBL?

Thank you for your question. With Brazilian butt lift we transfer fat from one area of the body to the other.  These fat cells are transferred in microinjections throughout multiple planes in the buttock tissue so that they can gain new blood supply and live in their new home, providing increased volume and shape to the buttocks.  If you put on weight before surgery, there is more to transfer.  But I do not generally recommend this because we augment the buttock during surgery for optimal shape, and if you then lose the weight post operatively you will loose it disproportionately from your augmented buttock and the results could suffer.  We recommend patients to keep their normal weight and body form prior to surgery, and then we are working from a stable situation to create the changes we are working for. That said, you definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Best is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

BBL procedure

Hello,  thank you for your question.  Gaining weight before a BBL procedure may be an option for patients with low fat percentage. The BMI or Body Mass Index is a measure very useful to determine whether a patient is a good or bad candidate for a BBL.   Usually patients with BMI 25+ have better results for a BBL than below 25.  

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

How much weight would I have to gain for a BBL?

Ideal candidates are at a stable weight,  in good health , and have excess fat in some parts of the body and too little in other regions.  Gaining weight before the procedure is to no advantage and when you lose weight again the fat cells will shrink just like the donor site fat cells.  Typically, the transferred fat results in a significant increase in volume of the body site being treated.

Weight gain and BBL

I am not a big fan of weight gain for a BBL, because inevitably patients want to get down to their baseline weight after surgery and this may cause their buttocks to shrink as well.

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question.

I have done many Brazilian Butt lift procedures and specialize in body contouring.  The amount of enhancement possible depends on how much fat can be harvested from your body.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

If you have adequate fat pockets for harvesting you would be a candidate for a BBL. The fat can be harvested from multiple areas on your body and injected into the buttocks to build it up and give you that curvier silhouette. Sometimes, this procedure needs to be staged to achieve your cosmetic goals because injecting too much fat at once can increase the chance of more fat cells not surviving. I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have a physical evaluation done to see if you are a good candidate or not. When I perform a BBL, I will evaluate the patient’s body to make sure that they are a good candidate for the Brazilian butt lift. It will also be assessed as to which areas will be liposuctioned. Depending on the amount of fat necessary to fill the buttocks/hip area, multiple donor sites on the body may be considered. After liposuction has been performed, a closed sterile system is used which ensures the fat tissue is never exposed to the air. This keeps it safe and purified for reinjection into the buttocks. Our plastic surgery office uses P188, a triple-wash antibiotic that sterilizes the tissue and separates the healthy fat from any tissue that may not survive the transfer process. I will then reinject the fat to make sure that the layering is done properly, effectively and that the results are smooth and shapely. I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have a physical examination done to see if you are a good candidate for a BBL. I do not recommend patients gaining weight for this procedure. You should maintain a stable weight for at least 3-6 months prior to having the procedure done to obtain optimal results. If your weight fluctuates too much pre or post operatively, this can affect your results. If you do not have enough fat to achieve your cosmetic goals, I would consider buttock implants or the combination of fat grafting and buttock implants to achieve your goals. Best of luck!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon