Little over a week post op and chest looks the same. Is it swelling? (Photo)

Had lipo/gland removed a little over a week ago and my chest still seems to stillhave glands in it. Originally, one side had more than the other so it sagged. It still seems to be the same size. Doctor said it was swelling and just to massage it. Should I be worried? Also, my doctor tells me I no longer have to wear a compression garment and I'm free to work out as much as I want. I don't want to mess up my results so should I listen to him?

Gynecomastia

You are very early in the healing process and you have to allow for the swelling to subside. Best of luck.

Little over a week PostOp and chest looks the same. Is it swelling?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your procedure.  At only a week after surgery, especially one that included liposuction, you are still seeing a fair amount of soft tissue swelling in your chest obscuring your long-term results.  I tend to hold my patients out of strenuous activity for at least several weeks after surgery but your surgeon knows your recovery best.  Hope this helps.  

Little over a week post op and chest looks the same. Is it swelling?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after gynecomastia surgery. Your surgeon will always be your best resource for accurate diagnosis, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance. Once complications such as hematoma or seroma has been ruled out, then it will be your best interest to allow for at least 3 to 6 months to pass before evaluating the final outcome of the procedure performed. Best wishes.

Thank you for your question and photos. You are one week out and you have some swelling and maybe some fluid, seroma? This can be assessed with a physical exam only. One week out you should've seen a dramatic improvement, but it does not look like you had enough tissue removed or your pectoralis muscles were not sculpted either. I advise massage as well, but have my patients wear the compression vest for 4-6 weeks. No exercise for 3-4 weeks to allow for healing appropriately. Every surgeon has their own postop protocol, and if you feel confident in your surgeon's advise, then follow it. Good luck with your healing.

Gynecomastia Surgery Recovery

Hi kdisalle,
Thanks for the post and photos. Every surgeon has a different post operative regimen.  In my practice I have patients wear compression vests for 4-6 weeks and refrain from exercise or strenuous activity for the same period of time. Of course every patient is different and these are general guidelines. At 1 week you are still very early in the healing phase and there will be swelling. The only thing you need to rule out is whether there is any fluid collection present. Your surgeon would be best to evaluate this.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand 

Babak Dadvand, MD

Gynecomastia surgery: swelling post-op

You are still very early with-in the healing time, so it is difficult to determine results of the surgery. The majority of swelling will be gone within the first 3 to 4 weeks, but can take as much as 6 to 9 weeks to disappear. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling so it is best to check with your surgeon  again for how long it should be worn if you have concerns. I recommend that patients can resume physical activity 1 to 2 weeks after surgery, but wait a month before strenuous activity. 

Swelling 1 week after gynecomastia surgery

It is entirely to early to be critical about your results. It will take approximately 3 months to know what

1 week post op gynecomastia

Thank you for your question and photos.  With being only 1 week post op, you're still swollen at this point.  Be patient and give it time .  It takes weeks to sometimes 2-3 months to see the final result.

Chad Robbins, MD

Postop Result

Congratulations on your gynecomastia surgery!  You are very early out from surgery, and it takes months to see a final result.  As long as the swelling isn't worsening, then you are probably quite alright.  I'd follow closely with your doctor, and follow their recommendations.

Dr. Michael Epstein
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL