Should I wait to get my tummy tuck until later (after breastfeeding) so to get my breasts done?

I have an umbilical hernia and Diastasis. I really want to get this and the muscles repaired ASAP Bc of the functional limitations it causes. I can wait for the cosmetic reasons. I'm breastfeeding and when my son weans I may want a lift/implants. Right now they look great but many moms complain of loss of volume. Should I hold off on the TT until I've weaned him so I can save money and recovery time and do an entire mommy makeover ? Or should I just go for the TT now and decide on BA later.

When to Schedule a Mommy Makeover Following Pregnancy

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting. It's suggested to wait at least 6 months after pregnancy to undergo a Mommy Makeover. Additionally, your weight should also be stable for at least 6 months. 

#Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.  Most importantly, your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision. 
All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation.
It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with the procedures included with a Mommy Makeover. . Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.  Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time. 

Mommy Makeover - Worth waiting for?

Thank you for your excellent question. I think it is best to wait to have your tummy tuck until you have finished breastfeeding. The body will take several months to adjust to all of the hormonal changes following pregnancy and breast feeding.  Combining the tummy tuck and breast lift +/- augmentation will save you money and it will be more efficient for you to recover from one surgery as opposed to two separate procedures. Please consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who commonly performs mommy makeovers. Hope this helps!

Thank you for your question. I recommend you to wait to have your TT and BA or lift after you wean your baby. It is usually best to wait about 3-6 months after you have weaned to undergo elective surgeries. There are still many changes in the body during and after nursing due to hormones and weight fluctuation.
You should consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with combining these procedures and can give you the results you desire.
Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Should I wait to get my tummy tuck until later (after breastfeeding) so to get my breasts done

I think you should wait to have your TT until after you wean your baby. Recovery from a TT can be long and uncomfortable for some women, especially if you need muscle plication to correct diastasis recti. Holding your baby will be difficult after your TT. Also, best to wait after weaning to have your breast lift. Only after your milk has dried up will you know what you are left with.
Congratulations on your baby.
Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Wait for the Mommy Makeover

If you can wait to do the mommy makeover all at once then do so. It will bring down your costs and always best to wait until you've weaned your son off breast feeding. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Mommy Makeover

My advice is, if you can stand to hold off, wait until your son has weaned and get the mommy makeover.  The advantages in doing so are decreased overall recovery from combining surgeries and also a cost savings.  
I usually tell breastfeeding mothers to wait about 3 months after they have weaned to undergo elective surgeries.
You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with combining these procedures and can give you the results you desire.

Best of luck to you! 

Ruth Celestin, MD

Tummy tuck now or later?

Doing the two procedures (tummy tuck and breast surgery) together rather than separately would be more cost effective for you.  It would be best to do either of these surgeries after your body has recovered from pregnancy and breast feeding.  I think most plastic surgeons would advocate waiting at least three months after your cease breast feeding before having surgery.  Still, you can always schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and review your options with you any time.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Timing for a mommy makeover

Thank your for supplying your pictures. In my opinion, you should wait until you have completed breastfeeding.  You can then have your breast and tummy addressed at one operation.   Please plastic surgeons for the most accurate recommendations.

Mommy Makeover Timing

Thank you for your question.  I recommend waiting approximately 3-6 months following breast feeding, or once your baseline weight is achieved, before proceeding with a mommy makeover.  

Tummy tuck and breast surgery after breast-feeding

I understand your wish to want to have tummy tuck surgery right away. However, women should wait at least 6 months after breast feeding to have cosmetic surgery, especially of their breasts. There are still many changes in the body during and after nursing due to hormones and weight fluctuation. It would be best to wait in order to get the best results from surgery. By then, you will also know if you need or want breast surgery. I hope that this helps.