How soon would I need to wait after giving birth to have both a labiaplasty and vaginoplasty? (Photos)

My minor labia have bothered me for years and have become much worse with two vaginal births. I'm currently pregnant with our third and final baby and researching vaginal rejuvenation for post delivery. I don't have terrible loss of sexual sensation but I do feel my pelvic floor has grown weak and inconsistent. I'm very much into Crossfit and find incontinece to be a major issue during workouts as well.

How long after giving birth before pursuing a labiaplasty or vaginal rejuvenation?

Thank you for sharing your question and your photographs and best wishes on your final pregnancy.  I would recommend allowing 6 months to pass after your childbirth before pursuing surgical intervention on your tissues.  They need time to resolve any swelling, heal any tissue injury, and regain their normal elasticity.  Hope that this helps.

How long should I wait after delivery to have vaginal and labial surgery?

The earliest you should consider this would be three months but I would probably wait nine months or closer to a year.  It takes about six months for a woman's body to fully recovery from pregnancy and delivery.  Your anatomy can be fully evaluated for the problems that are troubling you including vaginal laxity or incontinence in addition to the size of your labia minora which you demonstrate on the photos.  If you are breast feeding your estrogen level will be somewhat lower and this could delay the healing process but should not be too much of a problem if you wait a bit.   Plastic surgeons that specialize in labiaplasty surgery can be skilled at that aspect and give you a good cosmetic result but I would recommend evaluation by urogyn/cosmetic GYN as we specialize in vaginal/reconstructive/incontinence surgery and understand the impact of pregnancy/delivery on the pelvic floor.  Good luck with your pregnancy! 

Post delivery timing?

3-6 months after delivery you are starting to approach how you will be in the future (which will be worse than before re: incontinence etc.) You will need more reconstruction than you are aware of to support the pelvic floor. A good GYN or UroGYN should be consulted and you be evaluated at THAT time (3-6 mos.) Ask before then about the cosmetic needs and make sure you get the right surgeon. Estrogen vaginal cream after 6 weeks will speed up the transformation post delivery since it might take 9 mos. otherwise if breast-feeding.

You should wait at least 3-6 months after childbirth for vaginoplasty

Three to six months will allow your body to completely heal from anything and everything that could affect the quality of any surgery of the vaginal canal and it's supports. Any sooner that than and the tissues might be weaker than desired for the performance of a strong repair...especially if you're into Crossfit and other athletic activities. I operate on many gym rats and the toughest part of the recovery is staying out of the gym for 6 weeks - it will drive you crazy, but it's the quickest path to healing.

Vaginoplasty/Labiaplasty after Childbirth

Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals, or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. More specific problems are noted below in each section. These problems may exist at birth or with growth and development. They can occur with childbirth or other trauma to the region. All of these issues can cause a woman great emotional distress that is often difficult to talk about with their partner, friends and even their doctor.It is essential after childbirth to allow the tissue around the vaginal area to recover completely, including the healing of any stitches or sutures and skin separations. In consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon you will be able to discuss all specific details of your situation and desired results of vaginoplasty, thus determining when the scheduled date for a procedure will be best.

Post Delivery SurgicalWait Time

Dear Alisall:

The wait time should be approximately 6 months and this is dependent upon sub involution of the uterus and stabilization of hormones post delivery. In other words you can be assured your body is back to essentially normal at that time.  I have been performing vaginal rejuvenation since the late 1990s and have never had a problem doing surgery on patients at 6 months postpartum.  At that time you can get a clear picture of whether you have mild vaginal prolapse or moderate to advanced prolapse. This information is critical to your assessment i.e. diagnosis and plan of action.  All too often doctors who do not understand uterine and vaginal prolapse under diagnose and recommend only vaginal rejuvenation and they don't perform the appropriate reconstructive surgical procedures simultaneously.  

I highly recommend 6 months for examination and treatment.  Obviously you are dealing with more than just vaginal rejuvenation as you admit to having: urine incontinence, labiaplasty and vaginal rejuvenation for tightening.   There is a good chance you have more than just mild relaxation. I always tell potential clients:  get more than one evaluation by a surgeon who is well versed in pelvic organ (vaginal) prolapse.  This way you understand whether or not you have a more extended diagnosis.   Then choose your surgeon on ability, expertise, experience and results.  These are not surgeries to be taken lightly as many patients are often not happy with the results of labiaplasty and most of the time there is little that can be done to make things better and patients are often unhappy and have regrets for the rest of their lives.  No surgeon is perfect but choose the surgeon has the highest rate of perfection----- even if you feel you must travel.

P.S. ---I would also research on how you want to treat your stress urine incontinence. Many women now days do NOT want mesh unless it is absolutely necessary....this is a personal choice.  You may want to research Burch procedures, TVT, TOT, and single incision slings.  

John R Miklos MD
Urogynecology & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Vaginoplasty

A very important question. Regarding the incontinence, vaginoplasty wont change your pelvic floor strength. I would recommend waiting at least 6 months after delivery prior to vaginal rejuvination to allow the swelling and tissue laxity to resolve. 

Dr. Jan

Badar Jan, MD
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

How long to wait after childbirth to have Labiaplasty/Vaginoplasty/Vaginal Rejuvenation?

I advise a minimum of 3 months if you're not nursing, and 6 months if nursing. Actually, the longer the better. It's best to wait until your estrogen levels have normalized, which takes longer if nursing: 6 mos. minimum; 9 mos. better for intra-vaginal work.  The attached weblink compares different methods for LP, and the site has a bunch of helpful stuff.

Very best,

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Vaginoplasty and Labiaplasty

Waiting about 6 months would be wise.  It would give your body time to recover but also get your baby in a better sleeping pattern so that you can recover in peace.  At that point, you may want to consider labiaplasty and vaginoplasty with incontinence surgery for full pelvic floor correction.  But the down time will be 6-8 weeks.  So if you don't have help with your new born baby it may be tough to "rest."  Alternative to consider is CO2 laser (CO2RE Intima, Mona Lisa Touch etc) for incontinence correction.  It is not permanent, but it will help you continue your gym work outs without the embarrassment of leakage.  I would consider this especially if you decide not to go the surgical route right away.  Good luck!