Visible submandibular glands at a young age? (Photo)

Hi, I am only 26 and my submandibular glands are very large and noticeable under my jaw. It looks old and weird to me. I'm very embarrassed by them. I feel as though I've never seen them on anyone else? And everything on here I've seen is from older people. What can I do?

Doctor Answers 3

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. There are injectible and surgical options to address your larger submandibular glands. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to learn more about your options, which are unique but not problematic because you are 26 years old.Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 120 reviews


Luna1990, See an ENT doctor first to make sure all you have in benign hypertrophy. Botox can help but needs to be done quite a bit. Shaving your SMG is something I routinely do in my deep plane facelifts and is an option but would be a last option. Search submandibular gland shave for more information. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 48 reviews

Botox can help

Small amounts of Botox can be injected into these glands to help shrink them.It will need to be repeated but will help. These glands are not major salivary glands so they can be shrunk.Otherwise surgery to trim them will be necessary and it is a deep and difficult surgery.  Many surgeons will not do the surgery for fear of bleeding.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.