Tummy Tuck Swelling After Almost 2 Years?

I had a tummy tuck in 2014 and I still have swelling & numbness, especially at night. After almost two years should I be feeling this way?

Long term issues after tummy tuck

In my experience, long-term contour deformities after tummy tucks are always related to seromas which are fluid collections. A simple in office ultrasound can usually readily discern the presence or absence of fluid which can then be removed under ultrasonic guidance. Should the pocket not collapse, after being there for so long, a surgical excision of the pseudo-bursa may be necessary. I recommend you be seen by your operating plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your persistent swelling and numbness. Unfortunately after two years any numbness that developed as a result of your tummy tuck is likely to remain and not change materially.  With regards to your continued swelling it would be best that you see your surgeon for an evaluation to make sure that your swelling is an intermittent and episodic change and not the result of a discrete fluid collection, such as a lipoma.  Hope this helps.

Tummy tuck swelling 2 years post op

Thank you for your question.The best person to answer this question would be your plastic surgeon. I would recommend scheduling an appointment with them to have a physical examination performed. Swelling two years post op is uncommon but numbness can be long-term. Depending on the area the swelling is in, it may be scar tissue that is giving you this swollen appearance. In any regards, I would recommend consulting with your surgeon to answer your questions and concerns.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and Numbness

Two years is a long time for surgical related swelling though continued numbness and sensory issues can be long term issues. Your surgeon knows your case best and would be the best person to direct this question to.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Dr derby

Thank you for your question. It is very important to talk this over with the surgeon that performed your procedure. It has been  long time already to be dealing with this type of discomfort. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD