Tummy Tuck or Liposuction? No more than 5,000 (Photos)

Hi So I've gained all this weight from being on the Depo Provea birth control shot and all the fat went to my belly and been having a hard time getting it off ! I weigh 189 height 5"3 I'm looking for either a tummy tuck or lipo procedure that could help I posted pictures procedures nomore than 5,000 in Gerogia

Cost for a TT or Lipo

Cost factors vary significantly for a number of good reasons: Prices vary greatly because the surgery itself encompasses a wide range of techniques that can be performed to different extents. My recommendation is to first find the most qualified surgeons where you want the surgery performed that are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery you trust, then compare prices between them. See the below link on suggestions on how to find the most qualified plastic surgeon for your procedure. General Factors that influence the price of plastic surgery include:

1. Location - Will it be performed in a hospital with an overnight stay, an independent out- patient facility or a doctor’s office? Geographical location also has a significant influence. RealSelf has average charges for most areas of the USA.

2. Type of Anesthesia - local, IV sedation or General Anesthesia? Will a board certified anesthesiologist, nurse anesthetist, or an RN be used?            3. Experience and training of your surgeon. The best and longest trained is most often a plastic surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery           4. Length and Complexity of Surgery - how difficult will your surgery be and how long it will take, etc. Will other complementary procedures also be also performed during the same surgery?

Tummy tuck + Lipo candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

In this regard, I recommend you a Full Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour.

Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy tuck vs. Liposuction

These 2 surgeries do different things and one can not just replace the other.  For $5000 max, only liposuction may be an option but there are limitations with this procedure.  Best to talk to a plastic surgeon who can explain in detail the pro's and con's of each. In either case, diet and exercise first to get closer to your desired weight would also enhance the outcome.  

Dean Fardo, MD

Best advice

The fat that you need to lose most is the fat that surrounds your stomach and intestines. This fat cannot be removed with either a tummy tuck or with liposuction.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction?

Neither is the answer. You could probably get liposuction in that range, but not a Tummy Tuck. However the results of these surgeries are unsatisfactory if you are too heavy and definitely not the answer for weight gain. You know what the answer is. Weight gain does not just happen and in fact can not happen if you take in fewer calories and burn more calories. At this point you would be wasting good money and any surgeon who tells you otherwise is more interested in your money than your welfare.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy Tuck vs. Liposuction Vs. Weight Loss

Thanks for your question and it is an important one.  Without an exam it is difficult to know what the best option will be, but in general when patients are carrying excess weight or fat behind their muscle layer, around their organs (often called visceral fat) this is not something that can be altered with cosmetic surgery, rather with diet and exercise.  If we attempt a tummy tuck in these circumstances the results can be very minimal, so we will often ask patients to lose some of this weight with diet and exercise first.  I would recommend chatting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area, have a good consultation and get a  sense of your options.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction? No more than 5,000

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.   A tummy tuck will largely leave you with a similar appearance as your photographs as much of the fat present is located beneath your muscles and can only be addressed with diet and exercise.  Though difficult to see clearly you also appear to have some stretch marks along your lower abdomen which would likely cause you to be left with loose skin if liposuction alone is attempted.  I would most recommend you follow a healthy diet and exercise regimen until you reach your desired goal weight. This weight should be one where you are comfortable at, and can maintain, as weight fluctuations will affect your long-term results.  Once at your goal weight I would anticipate you to be an excellent tummy tuck candidate.  Weight loss before surgery will not only be in your best interest from a safety point of view, but also in obtaining the best cosmetic results.Hope this helps.

Lipo or TT

Hi milieeeeI think that you would be best served with a tummy tuck as you appear to have a skin-fat apron that may not shrink down with lipo alone.  $5000 isn't a big budget for surgery so a tt may be out of reach.Another option you may explore is a panniculectomy with liposuction.  This essentially is the removal of the skin fat apron as in a tt, but no muscle tightening.
All the best.sek

Tummy Tuck or liposuction in an overweight person?

The ideal person for a tummy tuck is one who has an ideal body weight or BMI and excess skin of the abdomen. The ideal person for liposuction again is someone of normal body weight and who has small amounts of excess fat in localized ares. The problem lies in the fact that most patients do not fall into these ideal categories. Most patients have both some excess skin and fat and often are a bit overweight. Patients will need to have realistic expectations. Overweight people have excess deposited around their intestines and we are not able to decrease this with lipo or tummy tuck. Weight loss is the only answer. But there are some people who can not lose the weight and still want some improvement. Often a combination of a smaller tummy tuck excising only half of the skin below the belly button (instead of all of it as in a full abdominoplasty) and much more lipo is the right answer. This is especially good for people with skin overhang in the lowest part of the abdomen (see patient 21 in my photo gallery below). A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will help you decide on the best option for you. Keep in mind however that the best ans safest result will come with you getting to your ideal weight first and then having the surgery.

Tummy Tuck - Weight loss first

Thank you for your question and photos.  I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.