Will a tummy tuck and breast lift get rid of any stretch marks?

I have lost a huge amount of weight during the past few years. I am looking to get a tummy tuck and a breast lift within the next 6-8 months but I have a question. I have stretch marks(all white/old ones, not red ones) all down my stomach and hips, and also have a lot of stretch marks UNDER my breasts. Will a tummy tuck and breast lift get rid of any stretch marks? If so, about how much will be gone? If not, is there anything at all that would help get rid of them?

Stretch Marks and The Mommy Makeover

It's difficult to suggest without a in-person one-on-one consultation. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.

Depending on the surgical techniques, the severity and location of the #stretch #marks, there is no guarantee they will be decreased in appearance.
However, some may be decreased with laser treatments which your board-certified Plastic Surgeon can explain in greater detail during a one-on-one consultation.  

Stretch mark removal options

Thank you for questions and congratulations on your weight loss! This is an exciting journey that can totally transform your body to match all of the hard work you have been putting in to your weight loss. Firstly, it is very difficult to evaluate this without a photo and I encourage you to set up a consultation for an in-person evaluation as major weight loss patients usually have multiple, dynamic concerns that have a multitude of surgical approaches, pending what the patient wants and looks like. However, usually, a traditional tummy tuck will help eliminate stretch marks of the lower portion of the abdomen and perhaps immediately surrounding the belly button. However, it is impossible to tell what stretch marks will be removed with what surgery until an evaluation is performed. Some major weight loss patients require multiple surgical procedures to obtain maximum correction and depending on the surgeries needed. Also, remember it is not the complete elimination of stretch marks that is the goal – rather, enhanced contour and elimination of excess skin – many weight loss patients (and other patients too!) have stretch marks all over the body – so focus on enhancing your contour and hopefully you will be happy with your surgical plan. Good luck!

Stanley Okoro, MD

Some stretch marks are removed during Tummy Tuck and Breast lift

Wonderful question.  Skin is removed during both a tummy tuck and breast lift.  If that skin has stretchmarks on it, those stretch marks will be removed.  Stretchmarks in other areas won't be removed, but will likely change position.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to give you a good idea of which will move and what your skin will look like after surgery.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Stretch mark removal

Good question-- An inperson consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area is the best way to have these questions answered accurately.  In general, stretch marks below the belly button will be removed in the tummy tuck procedure if you have a large amont of excess skin as you describe.  Stretch marks above the belly button or below the breasts usually persist after surgery but may be less noticable.  Best of luck!
--
Erik Hoy, M.D.

Erik Hoy, MD
Warwick Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and Breast lift

A full Tummy tuck and breast lift will typically address post pregnancy areas of concern. Without seeing pictures of you, it is difficult to say what would be best in your case. Definitely seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in Body Contouring Surgery for a consultation and more details. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Stretch Marks

It would be helpful to see a picture but generally any stretch marks in the lower abdomen and under the breasts can be removed with a breast lift and tummy tuck. Those that remain will be pulled tighter and may not be as noticeable. I advise that you meet with a board certified plastic surgeon who can show you the amount of skin and stretch marks that can be removed. Good luck!

Mark Deutsch, MD

Stretch marks

it is hard to say without examining you or seeing pictures to determine how much of your stretch marks will be removed from the surgery. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon for a better understanding of what your results will be so you have realistic expectations.

Tushar R. Patel, MD, FACS
Red Bank Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks

During a tummy tuck and breast lift, those stretch marks contained within the skin removed will be taken away. As the skin is then tightened, those stretch marks which remain may be made less noticeable. Find a board certified plastic surgeon and have them show you what to realistically expect in terms of stretch mark improvement with surgery.

Mommy Makeover

All stretch marks that are bellow the belly bottom are removed in the tummy tuck. In the breast is the same. The stretch marks within the extra skin are removed.

Aramis Vega, MD

Stretch marks

You are certainly on the right track. The only way to get rid of stretch marks is with surgery. The extent will depend on your skin laxity and location of the marks. You need to be examined first

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS