Is there a surgery that reduces the size of the clitoris, such as someone has an enlarged clitoris?

I have conducted various research and came across labiaplasy, clitoral hood reduction,and vaginal rejuvenation. Also, I've read that having this surgery makes you loose stimulation and more sensitive in that area. What is the price range and the side effects of this surgery?

Clitoral hood reduction

If the clitoris itself is enlarged, that is typically caused by hormones and can be further evaluated by a gynecologist. If you are wanting the extra skin removed around the clitoris (the clitoral hood), this can be removed surgically. This surgery should not cause a decrease in sensation with intercourse. Often women experience enhanced stimulation due to a greater exposure of the clitoris after labiaplasty with clitoral hood reduction. You can read more about the types of labiaplasty and cost at the link provided. 

Clitoral enlargement

The surgical treatment for clitoris enlargement is different than for clitoral hood enlargement. Women sometimes confuse them.  I have performed about 40 clitoris reductions with excellent results and no loss of sensitivity. The erectile tissue is removed from inside the clitoris and the head of the clitoris is reduced. Alternatively,  If  your clitoral hood only is enlarged, it can be reduced at the same time as a labiaplsty. It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides. I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased.

One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed.

No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Enlarged Clitoris: Treatment Options

Thank you for your question.  The size of the clitoris may be enlarged and/or the amount of skin around the clitoris (clitoral hood) may be redundant giving the appearance of being enlarged.  A thorough examination is the first step to determine which one or both conditions of the woman. If the clitoris is large and there are no other medical issues, including hormonal abnormalities, then a clitoropexy can be performed.  If the clitoral hood is redundant, then a clitoroplasty can be performed.

One should seek a cosmetic surgeon with experience in genital surgery.  The surgery is usually outpatient and well-tolerated. 

Best of luck.    

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist - Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Thank you for your excellent question.  If you feel that your clitoris is enlarged, termed clitoromegaly, then you need to be seen by your ob/gyn or endocrinologist for workup.  If it is the skin around your vagina and clitoris that is enlarged, then there are surgical interventions that can be performed to help reduce this redundancy.  

Enlarged Clitoris

Thank you for your questions.  The technical term for an enlarged clitoris is termed clitoromegaly.  A gynecologist or endocrinologist would be the person to make that diagnosis.  The causes can be endogenous (from birth having an elevated testosterone), to developing over time as in PCOS (slower increase in testosterone from puberty on).  Women who take steroids for exercise can also get this effect.  Many times I see patients who believe their clitoris is abnormally enlarged when it is well within physiology and normal.    

Reduction of the clitoral hood is said to increase sensitivity by allowing more frictional forces to occur with sex.  This is true, but over time my patients have told me that the effect lessens with time, quite similar to those who have had a clitoral piercing, and the intensity of orgasm returns to baseline.  Therefore, the overall effect is cosmetic.  

Vaginal rejuvenation is a combination of any of three procedures: Anterior colporraphy, Posterior colporraphy, and perineorraphy. Each of these serves a different purpose. To tighten the introitus, or vaginal opening. a perineorraphy is performed. To decrease the diameter of the vagina, Anterior and/or Posterior colporraphy is performed.

Depending on location, costs can vary from $5000-$10000 depending on the procedures you require.

Enlarged clitoris, sexual issues, and genital plastic/cosmetic surgery...

I am very uncertain what your issue is and what you feel you wish done. My advice is to consult specifically with a "Sexual Medicine Practitioner" and relay to him or her what is your "issue" and what you wish to accomplish. Of course, if that practitioner also is a genital plastic/cosmetic surgeon, so much the better.  Go to the website of ISSWSH (the Int'l Society for the Study of Women's Sexual Health) or other sexual medicine organizations (SSTAR-- Society for Sex Therapy & Research, or AASECT-- American Ass'n of Sexuality Educators and Therapists) and look for persons who are "fellows" of the organization or are "Certified" in your area, and see if surgery on your clitoris might be in order. Then, seek out an experienced and qualified surgeon who also is interested in the sexual aspects of your situation to discuss the propriety of surgery. Additionally, the weblink below and other educational material on the site may help!

Good luck!

Michael P Goodman MD