Do you suggest CoolSculpting or traditional liposuction? (Photo)

I have been reading forums about cool-scuplting; can you tell me if I should consider traditional liposuction or if cool-scuplting would be okay. I am in need of liposuction to my lower back, bra rolls and love handles. Can you tell me your professional opinion on better results for my AWFUL back problems

CoolSculpting or traditional liposuction?

Thank you for your question. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns, learn more about the procedure, and determine if you are a good candidate. An in-person assessment is always best. Regards,

CoolSculpting and liposuction can both be effective in reducing fat in these areas.

CoolSculpting and liposuction can both be effective in reducing fat in these areas. The question is what your goals and expectations are. Liposuction will give you a more dramatic reduction in fat after one session, but you will need a few days of recovery time and swelling can last for up to 6 months. With CoolSculpting, patients usually see a reduction of about 20-30% after one session, and results appear gradually after about 3 months. After that time, you can do another session if you feel your results weren’t enough. The main benefit of CoolSculpting is that it is completely non-surgical and doesn’t require downtime. I suggest visiting a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for a consultation to see what treatment plan is right for you.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

you are not a good candidate for coolsculpting you really need full body contouring with fat transfer to address disproportion and skin laxity.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Should I consider traditional liposuction or cool-scuplting for my lower back, bra rolls, love handles.

Hello, and thank you for your question.

Basically liposuction will still be the gold standard as you can target more in 1 go, and also you can sculpt in each area. As Plastic Surgeons we can achieve more fat reduction and have it more targeted with liposuction because we can get to the areas from the inside.
With CoolSculpting you are limited to where you can place the applicators, and may have to wait for more than 1 treatment in the different areas to see your final results. Then again, that suits some people.
However, Liposuction requires surgery, so a hospital admission, drugs, and postoperative recovery.

For some, liposuction may be more expensive, but then, if you are having a lot of CoolSculpting and/or more than 1 session to multiple areas, the cost may not be much different.

So, different options will apply better for different patients and circumstances.

In my practice, we assess for both, and help our patients with recommendations according to their individual circumstances.

I hope that helps.

Do you suggest CoolSculpting or traditional liposuction?

Hi and thanks for your question. After reviewing your photos you certainly appear to be a great candidate for either modality, ie, liposuction or coolsculpting. The difference is that with liposuction you will see a 70-80% improvement in these areas with one treatment. However, there is an aesthetic and a recovery of a couple of weeks. However, liposuction is the "gold standard" when we compare it to all other modalities. That being said, coolsculpting is a very effective and safe means that is FDA approved for the non-surgical removal of fat from various areas of the body including those in your picture. Coolsculpting will make about a 25-30% improvement after one treatment session and the final results are seen at about 3 months. If you undergo a second treatment of these same areas you will probably see an overall improvement of about 50-60%. However, there is no downtime, anesthesia, nor recovery. After 30 years experience in aesthetic plastic surgery, I would recommend that you see a surgeon who is certified by the American Board  of Plastic Surgery who has experience with coolsculpting and can guide you through the decision making process. Best of luck!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS