Is it ok to start wearing steri strips 6 weeks post tummy tuck surgery? (Photo)

I am 6 weeks post tummy tuck surgery and my incision is not Fully closed in small areas (it is not infected). I have never worn steri strips or anything over it but now want to wear to speed the healing process up. I had my surgery out of state so I have little communications with my PS. Please advise improving the scar moving forward. Thank you!

Steri-Strips probably have no utility six weeks after an abdominoplasty.

Unless they irritate your skin Steri-Strips probably will do no harm in your present clinical situation. However I doubt they'll have a positive effect on the healing process.

Steri Strips

Thank you for your question and photo. There are some wound care product which could help you heal more effectively however steri strips applied at this point would not be helpful- they are meant to help pull wound edges together when fresh. I recommend that you call your Plastic Surgeon, let them know about your concerns and advise you. You could visit a Plastic Surgeon local to you for in-person treatment.

All the best

Speak to your surgeon for best advice

Although your surgeon is out of state you really should advise them of your condition and ask them for their recommendation. Your photo shows that you have some issues that should be examined by your surgeon. At this point, steristrips would be ineffective. If you can’t connect with your surgeon, please find one in your area.

Steri Strips after tummy tuck

Steri Strips 6 weeks after a tummy tuck will not help the wound heal or the scar fade. There are a variety of options to speed up wound healing.  It would be best to speak to your Plastic Surgeon to see what he or she recommends. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Steri strips

Most surgeons use steri strips to decrease tension on the incision, at 6 weeks posop your incision should have good tensile strength so steri strips would offer little benefit.  We all recommend different scar treatments, but I do think silicone strips help.  Good luck, Jane. 

Scar treatment

Best to ask your surgeon what he prefers in terms of scar treatment.  Each surgeon may suggest different things. Best of luck.

6 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (6 weeks post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Steri strips

Thank you for your question. Steri strips are unlikely to speed up healing. However if you have a small open area which is becoming traumatised on the waist band of trousers/skirt then they will provide some barrier protection. However, in such circumstances, I would recommend an 1inch wide microporous tape (I use micropore by 3M - I have no affiliations with 3M) which you can also leave on whilst washing, and essentially treat as you would your normal skin. I recommend only changing microporous tape once a week, as removing it can also cause some mild trauma, or if the tape is coming off by itself.

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

Is it ok to start wearing steri strips 6 weeks post tummy tuck surgery

Thank you for your question. At this time no role for steristrips. Your incision is going to heal with some local wound care. Please follow instructions from your surgeon and you should heal OK

Is it okay to start wearing steristrips 6 weeks after TT?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Steristrips will not help heal your incision 6 weeks after surgery as the small areas of separation seen in your photograph simply need time to fill in from the inside-out.  I would contact your surgeon for wound care recommendations and so that they can follow your progress closely.  Best wishes.