Silicone vs Ideal saline implant - silicone revision a must? Saline sensitive to temperature?

I'm still torn on the decision.. can anyone clear up a few questions for me. Silicone - Do you REALLY have to get it redone every 10 years? Ideal Saline - I ran across a vlogger that says her saline implants get very hard in cold temperatures and you can really really feel the bag in warm temperatures. Has anyone experienced this with ideal saline? I'm 5'5 114 so ideal saline or silicone would be best for me. Between 350-375 ccs. Thanks in advance for your help!

Breast augmentation

It is absolutely not true! There is no mandatory change of your implants at 10 years! There are many women who have had implants for decades without problems. I am always amazed when I hear that other surgeons have said they suggest having them replaced at 10 years. It seems like an easy way for them to generate business!  Don't be full by this!

With respect to temperature change there have been studies which show that the breast are slightly cooler when implants are in place however this is less than a degree different and is not noticeable at all by most patients. I have not heard anyone look at a difference between saline or silicone. I will guess that it is pretty similar. As far as the difference between ideal implant or single lumen saline there should be no difference in any temperature variation. The ideal implant has multiple lumens with structured internal baffles but it is still  filled with the same sterile saline.

As far as the sizing goes in the range you have chosen the ideal implant or silicone would fit you well. It really comes down to a personal choice of saline versus silicone but between those 2 implants you will not see a difference and will likely not be able to feel a difference.

Good luck!

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Questions

Good questions. The ten year thing is like a urban myth. Definitely not true. If they're not broken you don't have to fix them. Data shows that 75-85% implants are fine after ten years. I have been using the Ideal Implants since November 2016 and although I haven't put in a ton, I haven't heard those complaints related to temperature differences. My experience and those of my patients has been extremely positive.

Silicone vs. Ideal Implants

Thank you for your question.  I can certainly understand your confusion.  You should be able to get a nice result with either a saline, silicone gel, or IDEAL structured implant.  It is not mandatory to have any of the implants replaced every ten years.  If your saline or Ideal structured implants ruptures, you will be aware of the need for replacing it.  Silicone gel implants can have silent ruptures, and that is why having an MRI every few years to check for any breakdown in the implant is recommended.  Breast implants are not considered lifetime devices, and they may be need to be replaced over time.  That said, I have had many patients who have had their saline and gel implants for decades and have not required having them replaced.  

In my experience, I have not heard any patients complain about temperature variations affecting their implants. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who offers both Ideal structured implants as well as silicone gel implants for an objective assessment of which implant will be best for you.  Many offices have 3D imaging available as well as sizers to help you determine the best implant size for you.  The best size implant will also be determined by our own body measurements.  Best of luck to you.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon