Do seromas need to be aspirated? I had a TT w/MR and BBL a month ago in the DR. I started having a burning pain near my sternum.

The burning is painful & a small bulge appeared. I live in the US, so I went to the ER. They did 2 ultrasounds & CT scan. It showed my MR was still intact. But I did have 2 small seromas, both the size of a walnut. ER doc asked several radiologists if they should aspirate, all 5 agreed that it shouldn't be due to size. Said it should reabsorb. The scan showed the bulge is only inflammation from the seroma. My DR surgeon said she would've aspirated it to give relief. What should I do next? Thxs.

Possible Aspiration of Seromas

Revision surgery is unusual but may be desired for several reasons. Most revisions should be done after 9-12 months. One cause for revision surgery are “dog ears” at the ends of the incisions. These are small folds of excess skin that do not flatten over time.  They can be excised, suctioned or both.

Scars may widen or continue to be red and elevated. These may require laser treatment or injection with kenalog and 5-FU.  Excision and re-closure may help some scars. Other treatments are available as well.

Excess fat or loose skin may require liposuction and skin excision to obtain the best result.

Now, there is a possibility that your incisions are still settling, and that can take several months. If you are concerned at all, then the first person you should consult is your plastic surgeon to have the incisions examined and make sure that healing is going well. Good luck.

Follow-up

You need follow-up with a plastic surgeon. This is why you were better off having it done locally so that you can have your surgeon address your spot-op issues.

Seroma management

If I am able to feel a seroma, I always aspirate it. However, small seromas will often be absorbed, and swelling after a tummy tuck can take several months to go away. Best solution is to follow-up with your surgeon. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Seromas After Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. If a seroma is causing symptoms - pain or bulging or it becomes infected then you should have it drained. It is best to follow up with your surgeon so they can examine you and make a recommendation. Good luck.

Small seromas.

Thanks for this question. If the seromas are causing symptoms then they should be aspirated. A different diagnosis should be considered as the cause of your symptoms if the radiologist do feel the seromas are too small to be problematic. You should see you plastic surgeon or another physician that can take the time to make an appropriate diagnosis. Best, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD

Postoperative seroma

You should call your doctor in the Dominican Republic for specific advice on what to do.  These are the troubles that arise when getting surgery done in other countries.  Regardless, you paid good money to have your procedure done, and that should include good advice to handle situations like this.  If she says she would have aspirated it, then she needs to tell you what to do next, or which doctor in the United States to go with the have this treated.

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your seroma issues.  If seromas become clinically relevant - causing physical discomfort or affecting your cosmetic appearance - it is best to have them aspirated by your surgeon for treatment.  Hope this helps.