Separating surgeries for best results?

There are a handful of procedures that I would like to undergo to regain my shape, if not improve upon what once was... I was contemplating liposuction, abdomnioplasty, breast lift, and possibly breast augmentation. Am I better off breaking up the procedures into 3 surgeries... liposuction to fine tune the underlying shape, then abdomnioplasty and breast lift to remove excess skin, and lastly a breast augmentation (if wanted)? I'm terrified of anesthesia but I want the best results.

Multiple procedures - how to plan

Thank you for asking about your multiple procedurs.
  • This is an excellent question.
  • You actually may be able to have all these procedures at one time  - depending on your health, your weight and how much liposuction is needed.
  • But if you aren't sure about the breast augmentation and want extensive liposuction, than having the breast lift and tummy tuck at the first procedure and the liposuction and possible breast implant later on may be better.
  • Anesthesia today - if your surgery is done at an accredited out-patient surgery center with an anesthesiologist supervising and on-site at all times - is very safe.
  • But you can always request an anesthesia consultation before your surgery, to have all your questions answered and to be reassured.
  • If you are in the planning stages and haven't selected your surgeon yet, we would be happy to see you as we are in Atlanta -
  • Our major surgery is only done at accredited centers - either those owned by Northside Hospital or the Perimeter Surgery Center.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Separating surgeries for best results?

Thank you for the question. Generally speaking, combination surgical procedures are done routinely.  However, you are wise in being concerned about the safety of combination surgery; risks/possible complications do increase with increased length of surgery… 

It is best to evaluate each patient's suitability for combination surgery on an individualized basis. During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY  of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance.  Plastic surgeon, anesthesia provider, duration of surgery, surgery facility all important  considerations.
Your best bet: choose your plastic surgeon very carefully; everything else including  good judgment/advice/planning, anesthesia provider and safe surgery facility will follow. Best wishes.

Separating surgeries for best results?

Best results are determined by combining or separating surgeries. Cost and recovery time are factors to consider, but most importantly what is the SAFEST for you. 

Separating surgeries for best results?

Thank you for your question. You can get done all procedures in one single surgery. Combination procedures are safe and very effective in the right hands.  The surgeon HAS to be an expert in EACH procedure and must have a lot of experience in performing combination procedures and can minimize the operative time.  For example, we work in a team and would take around 4-5 hours for the complete operation.  This allows us to get better results with less surgical time and less trauma.  Our patients are typically wlking the same day and tapering off of pain medications by 4-5 days.  By a week, our internattional patients are generally touring around Cartagena enjoying the  sites of this UNSECO World Heritage City.  Patients progress to unrestricted activities by 2 months, just as the final results are settling in. Combination procedures can give powerful results but SAFETY is KEY.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Separating surgeries for best results?

Combining cosmetic plastic surgery procedures is not uncommon. Whether you are a reasonable candidate for those procedures depends on your anatomy, extent of the procedures, your medical history, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the various procedures. 

Safety should always be the main concern. It is generally recommended that the length of elective surgery be less than six hours. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the national organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or in a licensed hospital. Many surgeons would recommend an overnight stay at an appropriate facility where you can be appropriately monitored. Most patients prefer undergoing one anesthesia and one recovery period which is usually more cost effective.
Having said all of that, many ethical well trained plastic surgeons would feel that the combination you are asking about is excessive and has significant risks factors if performed in one stage.

Keep in mind that following the advice of any surgeon on this or any other web site who proposes to tell you what to do without: examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, and taking a full medical history, as well as discussing the pros and cons of each operative option would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with, and discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. That way, you can have a better idea what is safe and makes the most sense for you.
Before proceeding with a combination of these procedures, you should have medical clearance from your primary care physician and a discussion between him or her and your plastic surgeon.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Combining Procedures in Melbourne, FL.

Thank you for your question about combining procedures.  Body contouring procedures
including the ones that you are contemplating are often done in the same
session depending on the patient’s health.  Each patient is evaluated
individually to determine the appropriateness
of combining of procedures.  I typically send patients for a pre-op medical
clearance for safety reasons.  Also, be sure your procedure is done in an
accredited operating room with a board-certified anesthesia team.  I hope
this information is helpful to you.  Best of luck!

Amy Ortega, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question. I would recommend you the full Tummy Tuck and liposuction first. Then your breast augmentation with lift Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.  In our practice we often combine these procedures in healthy patients that are good candidates to produce beautiful overall results.  Some additional things to consider about combining procedures is the decrease in cost, reduced recovery as you will only have to recovery once as opposed to each separate time you have a procedure performed and the additional benefit of being placed under anesthesia only once. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so you may be further evaluated, discuss your surgical options, address your goals and work together to create a surgical plan that will best help you achieve your overall desired look.
With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Separating surgeries for best results?

Thank you for your question.  Although procedures can be staged, the procedures that you mentioned are often combined in one surgery, provided that you're in good health.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Combining procedures

In theory the procedures that you are contemplating could all be combined at once. However there are many different variables which  you would have to discuss in person with your plastic surgeon after a physical examination. These variables include your health, your age, your BMI and the degree of d difficulty of each of the procedures. For example if you are young and in excellent health and have a normal BMI with minimal skin excess, that should not be a problem. However if you are over 50, have a great deal of sagging in your breasts or your abdomen and or a high BMI then the procedures should definitely be staged. Your best option is to see a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in breast and body surgery. 

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon