Saline deflation... 300cc Low Profile Smooth Submuscular. Will the warranty cover explant? (Photo)

I developed grade II CC in my right breast after a pregnancy and having implants for 7 years. Over the past week my right breast was less hard and eventually shrank down. So I'm positive there is a leak. It feels like the implant is almost completely flat. I moved me up about one cup size after BA, but right side was always bigger. I would rather explant than replace. Im under warranty, is it possible the warranty would help me with explant costs? I have the Naturelle brand. Thanks!!

Warranty coverage following deflation

The first step is filing a warranty claim. You will need some personal information and the info on the warranty card that you were hopefully given at the time of surgery. You can do this on your own, but ultimately your surgeon will need to return the ruptured implants to the manufacturer for inspection prior to them making good on the warranty. I have seen this process take months, not weeks, to receive reimbursement, but you are still within the ten year window. While this is not an urgent matter, don't delay three more years. Good luck!

Warranty coverage of Explantation of Implants

Great question. Your warranty covers explanation and re-implantation of Implants.  You will need to contact the customer service number provided on your implant specific card given to you post operatively that list your Implant type, style, and serial numbers.  They will be able to assist you with more specific protocols along with the assistance of your plastic surgeon's office as it relates to your OR and anesthesia fees being covered as well.  Good luck to you!

Camille Cash, MD

Explantation

Warranty will usually cover some of the cost of the OR and anesthesia as well as the replacement of the new implants.  You do not usually need to have the implants replaced but you should have total capsulectomies done.  Your health insurance will often cover explantation if complications of cosmetic surgery are not excluded.

Susan Kolb, MD

Removal of implants after a deflation

Thank you for you question. Typically the implant warranty will cover removal of the implants and placement of new ones. It does not typically just cover removal of implants. That would be something I would definitely call the implant company about in regards to your case.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Explantation

Contact the implant company to see if you are covered under the warranty.  You mentioned you had the implants for 7 years.  Request a copy of your operative report from the operating surgeon for all the implant information, such as serial number and lot number.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Saline implant deflation

Sorry to hear about your troubles. This is a very common problem I see. The two implant manufacturers have varying redemption processes that you should look into. They will almost always cover new devices and will have differing protocols depending on your specific warranty for operative cost. The implant pockets are usually well preserved and can be used again with nice results. All the best and hoping this gets resolved for you. 

Bahair Ghazi, MD