Getting rid of double chin?

I have some extra fat on my chin that I want to get rid of... I'm horrified of needles, so non-invasive would be best. What's the best procedure for getting rid of this horrendous double chin? It seems SculpSure is the latest trend for love handles, but do they do chins?? Is it safe?

Kybella

Thank you for your question, jbennet427. No, SculpSure is not safe for treating chins. A safe, non-invasive and very effective option is Kybella. Kybella addresses the "double chin" in a short in-office treatment that then provides a minimal recovery period. Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella vs Coolmini vs Liposuction

Fantastic question!
There are multiple factors that go into answering this question...
If there is a lot of fat, liposuction is your best bet. This can be done in-office under local anesthesia.
If surgery is not something you are comfortable with, Coolsculpting would be your best bet financially... as long as the Coolsculpting applicator fits and you are okay with more time to see full results (than liposuction). If your jaw is too small or the amount of fat too little, the CoolMini may not fit.
Lastly, if you have a small amount of fat and the CoolMini applicator doesn't fit your face, I would go with Kybella. There is a significant recovery period with Kybella and the product is not cheap. That is why I reserve it for people with a small amount of submental fat.
My best,
Dr. Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Options to treat a double chin

Excess fat under the chin is a common problem.  This can be treated reliably by liposuction with or without laser, coolsculpting coolmini, and kybella.  The only option to avoid needles would be the coolmini device.  It is a suction device that reduces fat through freezing.  Kybella involves multiple sessions of injections that reduce fat under the chin.   Best to consult with a physician who performs all the different types of treatments or to get multiple opinions to find out which option is best for you.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Double Chin

I would use CoolMini- it is by Zeltiq.  Basically a suction device sits under your chin for about an hour, no needles, no discomfort, no downtime.

Over several weeks you will see your 'double chin' disappear.

A great treatment with excellent results!

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Variety of options

There are a variety of options that exist to address the double chin. Kybella is a noninvasive treatment for the chin(does involve needles) and it dissolves the fat. It requires about 3 treatments spaced 4 weeks apart. 
Sculpsure can be a solution but placing the handpiece under the chin might be tricky to do.
At the end of the day, liposuction is a great consideration to produce faster results. I would recommend a consultation to determine the best treatment for you. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Getting rid of double chin?

The newest laser indication for chin/neck fat is the CoolSculpt® laser with a smaller hand piece. Please consult a board certified aesthetic dermatologist for a consultation.  

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Best way to Treat a Chin Issue

Thanks for your question.  We are lucky there are so many great options out there right now for treating issues with your chin and neck.  If you are afraid of needles I would recommend looking at CoolSculpting.  If you can handle a needle you might do well with Kybella.  If you have a good amount of fat your best option though might be liposuction.   Work with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to have this face to face discussion and physical examination. 

Wishing you the best,
Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Non-invasive treatment of the double chin

The Cool mini would be the non-invasive way to treat the double chin.  Find a Plastic surgeon with all the options available to get advised appropriately.

Double Chin Treatments

There are now several different treatments for the fat of the "double chin".  Liposuction has long been one option for patients with this issue, but this requires surgery and associated downtime.  More recently, Kybella has come on the market to dissolve the fat of this area using multiple injections of a solution that directly breaks down the fat cells.  This is a great option, and though there can be some pain and swelling associated with this treatment, the results are promising.  The CoolMini applicator by CoolSculpting (Zeltiq) is another option that uses freezing of fat to trigger the fat to dissolve.  The CoolSculpting option for a double chin takes an hour and has much less recovery time than other options, and unquestionably works great.  The results from this treatment are excellent but gradual, meaning that it will take several weeks to see your results.
So, there are many options with different advantages for fat in the double chin area- I recommend seeing a Board Certified plastic surgeon who offers all of these options so you can get an impartial recommendation and find what is right for you.

Dr. L

Options for treating a double chin

Thank you for your question.  There are 4 options for treating a double chin.

1.  Liposuction:  in-office, local anesthesia (or in surgery center with sedation, your choice).  About a 1-2 week "social downtime"--bruising and swelling, not so much pain.

2.  CoolMini:  CoolSculpting, nonsurgical, in-office, no downtime.  Takes 2 treatment sessions, spaced about a month apart.  Start seeing results in about 3 weeks with final results at 3-4 months. 

3.  Kybella:  nonsurgical, injectable, done in-office.  Takes 2-4 treatment sessions, spaced about a month apart.  We do numb for the procedure, but you're awake.  I was a Principal Investigator in the Kybella clinical trials, so I've been using it since 2012.  I'm also a physician trainer, meaning I teach other doctors how to use Kybella.  

4.  Ulthera: less dependable and predictable than the other options I've listed, but completely nonsurgical, in-office treatment to reduce fullness in the neck and to tighten skin.

The best way to know which procedure is right for you is to have a personal consultation.  

Best regards,
Dr. K

Carmen Kavali, MD