Having Rhinoplasty. Will chin just look worse? Will travel. (photos)

I have just enough Kentucky blood to have the jut jaw of the century. I am finally getting my nose fixed and am curious if I am going to need to reduce this chin when it is done. I had one doctor say it was just fat and one say it was the bone. I am also aging and jowling and don't want that worse at 41. What are some options?

Rhinoplasty any patient with a prominent chin.

For a female your chin is perhaps slightly strong but not excessively so. Video imaging should give you a good idea what to expect on the profile with and without changes in the volume of the chin. Additionally, physical examination will be necessary to determine what component of the chin may be problematic to you. Selective Botox might be preferable to surgery in some patients.

Chin reduction with rhinoplasty

It's a very good question.  I would say it depends.  You've had that chin and nose your whole life so it really comes down to what bothers you.  If it's your nose, then you can make it smaller but the surgeon has to be conservative with the projection given your chin projection.  If the projection is part of what you don't need like, you want to really consider chin reduction so the surgeon can deproject your nose to a point that will match the reduced chin.  In the end, your surgeon will want a balanced profile so the balance between chin and nose is important and something all surgeons think about in the operating room.

Chin reduction can be tissue only or bone or both.  As someone who does a lot of chin reductions, patients who choose only soft tissue reduction sometimes wish they could have done more whereas those that have bone reduced are almost universally happy.  Hope this helps!

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin won't look worse. Careful about the nose, though.

You have a very projecting nose, which means it sits forward, away from your face. "De-projecting" the nose is what we call moving the nose back closer to the face.

Click on the "Web reference" link, just below my response. I made a couple of computer morphs of your nose, and animations of the morphs, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

Besides deprojecting the nose, I elevated the little droop of the columella. The columella is the piece that separates the left nostril from the right nostril.

From the frontal view, I narrowed the two cartilages that form the tip. They seem a bit prominent.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Making a large deprojection of the nose involves complicated work on the tip, so I disagree with a previous opinion you got that no tip refinement would be necessary. Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

I don't recommend work on your chin. It's strong, yes, but not outrageously strong, and we don't have great ways of decreasing the prominence of a chin. There *are* operations, but they are big procedures, with significant risks, and I recommend them only when a chin is so large that it's really a "deformity," not just a "strong chin."

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Having Rhinoplasty. Will chin just look worse?

How the Rhinoplasty operation is performed?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Don't touch the chin! and Be Careful with the nose! Scarless, Closed Rhinoplasty needed!

Don't touch the chin! It is in good harmony with the face.  it only truly juts out when you smile. At rest, it is not bad at all.  Chin reduction is not a simple surgery and can be complicated.  Risk is bigger than the benefit in my opinion. 

Also be careful with the nose!  You need only subtle refinement (not a major change) and this should be accomplished with closed (SCARLESS) rhinoplasty.  If too much is done to your nose, it will not match the rest of your face.  You have amazing bone structure in your chin, and cheeks and jawline - a petite small nose won't match your face. You need a subtle refinement only. And this too should be done with a scarless rhinoplasty where all the incisions are made inside the nose. 

When artists restore a fine painting, they don't inflict a scar in the middle of the painting - likewise a rhinoplasty surgeon shouldn't either.  You only need subtle refinement to the tip and the profile!

Consult a board certified Rhinoplasty Specialist who only does rhinoplasty as 100% of his career.

All the best and good luck!  

Deepak Raj Dugar, MD

Rhinoplasty and chin reduction

You might benefit from a small chin reduction as well. X-rays to evaluate the chin bony content would be essential.

Chin reduction with rhinoplasty?

Fortycankissit (love the name!), 

Thank you for the great and perceptive question.  The best and most natural looking results are about balance, so if your nasal projection is going to be reduced with the rhinoplasty, then reduction of your chin projection would likely be beneficial also.  Chin reduction could be done at the same surgical setting.  This may involve reduction of the bony projection, reduction of tissue volume, or both depending on your anatomy.  I would recommend discussing this with your surgeon or consulting with a facial plastic surgeon.

All my best!

Dr. Elizabeth

Rhinoplasty with chin reduction for a more feminine and attractive appearance.

Rhinoplasty with chin reduction for a more feminine and attractive appearance.  this is surgery that I perform frequently for both transgender and non-transgender patients. The nose can be reduced conservatively and at the same time the chin reduced so it does not shut out.  The phone is reduced not the tissue of the chin. See a very experienced surgeon who can show you many before and after pictures of patients like you. Go to the websites to compare results. 

Having Rhinoplasty. Will chin just look worse? Will travel

Based on your photos, a Rhinoplasty and some chin reduction would be of benefit. I would seek a qualified experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for in person evaluation. The final decision on both of these areas will require a detailed evaluation and physical exam.

Chin

fortycankissit, like the name! Consider a chin shave. I personally don't like sliding genioplasty as an alternative. See an experienced surgical specialist with decades of experience doing "only faces". Good luck and see the video! 

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon