Realistic expectation for chin implant exchange? (photos)

I currently have a medium silicone implant. You can see before and after pictures. It is a good change but I feel like my goal is more the simulated picture. You may notice it seems in addition to slightly more projection, I may need a little vertical height as well to achieve this. Two questions: 1. Do you think the goal picture looks more proportional, and 2. Is this achievable by swapping my medium implant with a different size/style? Size/shape suggestions?

Chin implant revision

Hello! You can achieve more projection and slightly more height with a larger implant. I would recommend an extended contoured or custom implant. I personally prefer Gore-tex over silicone and have seen far less sulcusing of the bone (subtle erosion that minimizes the projection of the implant over years). Choose a surgeon who has experience with a wide variety of types of implant materials and sizes for a consult. Good luck!

Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Exchange

Whether a larger standard chin implant can achieve that looks depends on what size (exact dimensions) you currently have in place. The look you are striving for is probably more than just a few millimeters difference so it is possible that a custom chin implant may be needed.

Realistic expectation for chin implant exchange?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the post op photos, your chin is slightly behind a vertical line drawn down from the lower lip which is appropriate for a male chin on profile.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.The photo shop version shows an exaggerated chin that does appear to balance the lower face but rather make the chin over-projected and protruded. In my humble opinion, a more aesthetic result could be achieved by removing the excess skin below the chin and add a dermal filler to make the mandibular angles more angular and flared. Leave the chin as is.
Based upon the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  From the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front) and the mandibular angles are weak.   Hope this helps.

Chin and neck

CB60, it looks to me that a larger implant may be of benefit as well as open liposculpture but you need to have an experienced specialist do a 3D exam that includes your SMG, hyoid, skin thickness etc. See a surgeon that does "only faces" and has years of experience. Search the Internet. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, I think this is possible and reasonable with a larger implant. Your simulation does show tightening of your neckline that would require either liposuction or a platysmaplasty to achieve. This can be performed at the same time as the chin implant procedure. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dear CB60, You may benefit from a larger implant as well as combining that with some sub-mental liposuction to provide an overall more defined look. A consultation and examination would best determine a course of action to provide you your desired look. If you are not returning to your original surgeon then I would suggest requesting a copy of your earlier pre-operative photographs as well as a copy of the operative report to assist the surgeon. See examples in the video above and link below. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Chin Implant Selection

Thanks for your post. I do feel that you would benefit from an implant exchange. I think that your goals are reasonable. 

Since you have only posted limited profile views, it is difficult to comment as the the exact size or style. However, your pre operative photo suggests that you may benefit from a longer, anatomically shaped and larger implant than what was placed originally. See Implantech Inc for various sizes and styles. In my opinion, you do not require additional vertical height, but need projection and width. 

When did you have your first chin implant surgery? I would wait at least 6 months before considering any implant exchange. Best Regards. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for chin implant

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision:
Candidates for Chin Augmentation -
Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation.