My question is about my canine teeth and veneers. Any suggestions? (photos)

I have included a picture of my teeth. My dentist wants to change my canine teeth and make them more "feminine" and give me veneers. I had a gap in my front teeth that was closed with composite bonding. Are veneers necessary? Are the gaps between my front teeth and canine teeth really noticeable to the point where I need veneers? I'm at a crossroads and need an honest professional opinion because I can't decide. Thank you in advance.

Are veneers recommended #DrSarahThompson

If you are happy with the way your canines look, then I would probably keep them the way they are.  In regards to the bonding that you have on the two front teeth, I would have the bonding replaced with veneers in the future.  This is because bonding is very likely to stain and eventually break off at what seems like the worst time.  Veneers are much more permanent and very resistant to staining. I hope this helps.  Follow me on RealSelf if you have any additional questions.   

Canine teeth

hi,The biggest question I have is are you bothered by the appearance of your teeth??  If not, DO NOT do anything. Your teeth look nice, white and straight. If you are, then start with just a little shaping. Hope this helps.

Stacey Layman, DDS
Glendale Dentist

Porcelain Veneers to change the shape of your teeth

It appears that these teeth are healthy and that you had missing lateral incisors and the space was closed.  This placed the cuspids in the place of lateral incisors which are smaller and thinner and also not pointed on the tips.  Treatment seems to be optional for you.  Does this appearance bother you?  If not, then nothing has to be done.  If yes, several options:1) Do nothing2) Veneer or bond  the cuspids to create a flatter and more square edge.  However, better results will be obtained by slenderizing the cuspids and making the tooth behind it appear like a cuspid so that you have a more proportional smile which appears to have the teeth in the correct place and correct proportions to each other3) Consider braces to open the spaces and place dental implants.I hope this helps.

Ronald Konig DDS
Houston Dentist

Canine teeth and veneers?

You are missing your lateral incisors and your canines are in the position usually occupied by them.  Your dentist is probably recommending veneers to make your canines appear like lateral incisors.  This would give your smile a more natural looking appearance.  If you are comfortable with your smile the way it is,  changing it  is not necessary as it is strictly for cosmetic purposes.  Another option would be cosmetic bonding to change your canines  to look like lateral incisors, which would require much less preparation of your teeth than porcelain veneers, and could possibly be done with no preparation.  In our office, we provide a Smile Preview where we quickly form a temporary veneer to show you the changes possible.  This helps  you to decide if you would like the results of permanent treatment as opposed to leaving your teeth as they are.

Veneers Needed?

it appears your canines are in the place of your lateral incisors. And I have seen some patients like this that look good and some that didn't look good. It's completely up to you if you like your smile or not. It's not necessary from a dental stand point it's a cosmetic decision. If you are happy leave it alone. If you are not happy I would bond first to see if that makes you happy which is the least invasive procedure for your situation. Good Luck !!

Barry L. Sandor, DMD
Freehold Dentist