Low profile implants? (Photo)

I am a 35yr old mother to 3 children. I nursed them all and am left quite deflated from my 32c cup. At present I am petite: 5'1", 95-98lbs, 30-32A/B cup. My PS suggested a higher volume(upper 200s)LOW profile implant. I've read these are rarely used and often times rarely desired. The width may cause difficulty with bra fittings as well? My PS has had very good reviews, is very kind, and seems quite competent, but I don't want to pester my PS again. I'd like to be a full B-C cup. Please help!

Choosing implants

Thank you for the question and photos. The
choosing of implants is a very crucial and is one that should be done through
an in-person exam. Various aspects could affect the choice of implants
like breast tissue, body measurements, desired end result and the like.
Bra sizes also differ from one manufacturer to another so a carefully
selected implant can be able to get you very close to that size. It is
always best to visit a board-certified plastic surgeon and have a full
evaluation for your concern. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.
An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic
surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Implant size

Choosing the right size and type of implant depends on any number of factors all of which require an in person exam. So, do not worry about being a pest. It is your surgeon's job to listen to your concerns. Clear and constant communication between surgeon and patient is the only way to insure that you get the results that you want. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Implant Sizing

Thank you for your question. Your Plastic Surgeon will have measured your breasts carefully and recommend implants which fit your base width. There are many options for implants sizes and projections but the diameter must fit your individual measurements in order to give you a proportionate look.

If you only wish to increase your size by roughly one "cup" and desire a natural, upper pole- this could be why he recommended lower profile implants for you. A moderate projection implant will also give you a natural result, but perhaps allow for a bit more volume. I recommend that you talk with your Plastic Surgeon about your aesthetic goals again and if possible, try on the sizers in office with a form fitting t-shirt.

Many patients struggle with the sizing aspect of this procedure. If you keep open communication with your Plastic Surgeon you should expect the results you want.

All the best

Breast Implant sizing

You should never feel like you are a pest...We all usually enjoy explaining what we do for our patients and will most likely be glad to spend more time and explain the details about how implants are chosen. Basically, a patient should size with a bra and implants to find a desirable "look". Then I usually measure the nipple and nipple to fold distances to check for symmetry and need for a lift. Then the base width measurement will help choose the final implant. Its a fun process that is easily explained.
All the best

Bahair Ghazi, MD

Low profile implants

These days, we have many more options when it comes to size, shape, and style of implants to use.  Most round implants come in moderate (low) profile implants ( low projection and wider base diameter), high profile implants (more projection and narrower base diameter), and moderate plus profile implants which fall in between.  The only times I really use the low profile implants is when I am using smaller volume implants where the diameter of the implants may be more important than the projection.  If you use a small volume but high profile implant, it may be too narrow at the base to appropriately fit the base diameter of your breast.  It may look like a golf ball stuck in there.  Different doctors have different preferences when it comes to choosing which size, type and style of implant to use so these questions are best answered by a board-certified plastic surgeon who can examine you in person and review your options with you.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Low profile implants? (Photo)

Based on your petite frame and your wish photo, I think that you will be happier with a moderate plus or high profile implant. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon or get a second opinion. Good luck!

Low profile implants?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Breast implant selection is an exciting, but stressful part of the breast augmentation process as there are so many choices. Unfortunately it is impossible to recommend the best implant style, size or shape without an in-person examination that allows for the measurement of key breast parameters, as well as permits an in-depth discussion as to your desired goals and outcome. I would recommend you voice your concerns with your surgeon, they are in the best position to ensure that the implants the two of your decide upon are the right ones to meet your expectations. It sounds as if it may be wise for you to "try on" several of the implants so that you can have a better visual representation as to what they would look like. Based on your photographs, however, you would likely obtain better results with a moderate/moderate+ implant to account for your narrow chest wall diameter.  Your goal pictures are also representative of sizes closer to a full C/D.  Consider seeing a few ASPS board certified plastic surgeons for differing opinions.  Best wishes!

Low Profile #BreastImplants

From your photos, it appears you will be a good candidate for a breast augmentation. You bring up good points about the low profile implants, however, you only need to communicate with your doctor. The width is only an issue if he goes too big/wide. There are other options, but your goal photos do look like a moderate style implant - but those do not look like a "B" cup. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Low profile implants?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.  You should not consider additional communication with your plastic surgeon "pestering";  it is important to both of you that you communicate your goals carefully.  In my opinion, this is one of the most important keys to success when it comes to successful breast augmentation surgery.

Anecdotally, I find that I use low profile breast implants very rarely in my practice.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "full B or C cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Implant Size Selection

In recommending implant size, I consider my patients' anatomy (chest height, weight, shape, existing breast tissue) as well as their desired look. Please share your "wish" photos with your plastic surgeon. After examining your body and understanding your goal, your plastic surgeon will make a recommendation.
Implants come in different type (saline, silicone), shape (anatomic, round), volume, and profile. Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes,

Dr. Kim