Which procedure is best? (photo)

About me: I am 28 years young with twins, I had a c-section in 2008. I am 220 and 5"5 I am confused as to which procedure i should invest in. Mommy makeover which includes Tummy tuck and breast lift or lipo and breast lift. Based on the photos what would be the estimated cost? I am also concerned that with the breast lift i would lose size, is this true in some cases?

Mommy make over

Dear twin boys mommy,
  Thanks for submitting your pictures. Based on your pictures, you are an excellent candidate for mommy make over. However, I would recommend to start with tummy tuck surgery only.
   This procedure will give you flat stomach, improved body posture and most likely, you will lose significant amount of weight due to the tightening of your abdominal muscles, which will reduce the amount of food that you can eat and your sense of hunger. Many of my patients lost over 40 pounds and most of my patients did not request liposuction due the dramatic improvement in the body shape.
 After 6-8 weeks, when your weight stabilized, you can reassess your situation and decide if you desire liposuction surgery, or breasts lift with or without implants, dependent on the amount of your weight loss.
  Important fact for you to know. Combination of tummy tuck and other procedures , increases the complication rate significantly. For example,  the combined tummy tuck and liposction increases the rate of severe complication by a factor of 10 ! This is based on study from cosmetic surgery insurance company data that was published recently.
 As far as cost, it is impossible to give you comprehensive cost , because of the unknown,  in regard to the additional surgery after the tummy tuck surgery. Based on your pictures, the cost of tummy tuck in my accredited surgery center, most likely, will be $8,000.
  Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons, who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent, attractive and natural looking. Also, check, the 'realself' reviews for positive experience reports.
                         Dr Widder

Tummy tuck

Best for you is the Tummy Tuck for sure. The problem with pregnancies is the muscles are split apart and stretched. They ened to be tightened with the tummy tuck. Liposuction only takes the fat away and will not fix the muscules and skin that has been stretched from teh twins. 

Dr Ennis

Which procedure is best?

Thank you for your question and the photos.  You would definitely benefit from a tummy tuck combined with some liposuction of your sides and back.  Due to your skin laxity and stretched abdominal muscles after your twins, you would not get a satisfactory result from liposuction alone.  A breast lift will not alter your cup size as your breast tissue would be preserved.  An in-office consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be very beneficial to help you understand the process to make the right decision for you.  Good luck!

Planning a mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• A lot depends on your goal.
  • Your BMI is 36.6 putting you in a higher risk group
  • You will get an excellent result if you can reach a normal weight 
  • But that means losing 70 pounds or more.
  • Until then, I suggest you avoid combination surgery - one procedure at a time.
  • As for a tummy tuck or liposuction, an exam and discussion of pros and cons is needed.
  • A tummy tuck is usually better but result may be disappointing if you have a lot of internal fat because you will definitely not get a flat tummy.
  • Liposuction may be better if you have a lot of fat on the tummy and flanks -
  • It is lower risk than a tummy tuck and perhaps it will motivate you to lose weight.
  • But an exam may show that in fact, a tummy tuck is better, even if the result is not perfect.
  • For your breasts - a breast lift will not reduce your breast size.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Which procedure is best?

Based on your pictures, you appear to be a good candidate for a mommy makeover, that is, a tummy tuck and breast lift procedure.  The tummy tuck would remove excess skin and fat as well as tighten your stomach muscles.  The breast lift would give you a perkier shape to your breasts.  It could be done with or without the addition of breast implants if additional volume is wanted.  Your best chance at a good outcome would be when your weight is stable.  Again, based on your pictures, it appears that you should probably consider losing some weight before undergoing surgery.  You should schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and discuss your options with you.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Which procedure is best?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos and your height and weight, you need to first focus on your overall health before considering cosmetic surgery.  You are only 28-years-old and your BMI is currently over 36.  This puts you in the obese category and puts you at risk for multiple medical problems in the future including diabetes.  It is generally recommended that your BMI be at least less than 30 to achieve good aesthetic results and decrease your risk of complications.  Your weight would be 180 lbs with a BMI of 30.  Once you reach that goal weight, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.  I hope this helps.  Best wishes!  Anything is achievable!

Which procedure is best?

Reviewing your photos and history leads me to suggest that for your benefit and for safety you should work on losing 25-30 pounds before investing in your surgeries.  You will have a better result and a safer procedure at the lower weight when you undergo a full breast lift and tummy tuck with liposuction of your grab handles.  If you carry significant internal belly fat (as I suspect that you do) the result of your stomach tightening will be better at a lower weight.
Good luck and enjoy your results (and your twins)!

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Which procedure is best for a Mommy Makeover?

Based on your photos, at some point it appears a breast lift and a tummy tuck will best meet your goals. You will likely loose some volume in your breasts with a lift, but they will have a nicer shape. An implant can also be considered to replace some fullness in the upper pole in addition to the lift. However, your height/weight numbers indicate that this procedure will be much safer and look better with weight loss prior to the surgery. Much of the reason for your protuberant abdomen is intra-abdominal fat (fat behind the muscles) which can only be reduced with weight loss. Cost depends on the surgeon, the anesthesia, the facility, and the part of the country. it is quite variable. You can achieve a nice result, but I believe you will have to meet your sureon in the middle and invest some time and energy in losing weight to get the best result with the least amount of risk. Thank you for the question.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

About the Mommy Makeover Procedure

It's difficult to suggest without a in-person one-on-one consultation. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.

#Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.
In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 
Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Whic procedure is the best?

Thank you for your question. Based on your photos and current BMI being 36.6, my recommendation would be to set an ideal goal for yourself to lose a certain amount of weight and once you reach your goal or get to a point that you can no longer lose anymore, then I would recommend a full Tummy tuck with liposuction of bilateral flanks. Liposuction alone will not give you the results that you desire and also it will not correct your Abdominal muscle separation. With regard to breast lift, yes you do lose some volume or size but the shape of your breast will be much nicer and perkier. With regard to cost, it depends on the surgeon fee, facility fee, and anesthesia. This can vary depending on geographic location, and extent of the surgery.Best wishes.

Kamran Azad, MD
Pasadena Physician