Which procedure would give me the most dramatic results? (Extended Tummy tuck vs lower body lift). (photos)

I lost 113lbs a few years ago. Then I had a baby in 2014 and gained 75lbs. I've lost 42lbs and have 33lbs to go to my ideal body weight (147lbs). My lower body is very fat. After reaching my goal weight I plan to have some sort of body contouring done and I want to get rid of as much skin on my abdomen as possible but I also want some tightening of my thighs. And, I have a dimple deformity on my left buttock that I want fixed.

Tummy tuck vs lower body lift

Hi Akura,

Thank you for your question and attached photos.  Congratulations on your weight loss!!!  With regards to your ideal procedure, it would require an in person exam.  Based on the photos, it appears that you could benefit from either an extended abdominoplasty or a body lift.  With an abdominoplasty alone, it is important to know that you will likely have some excess on eight side, referred to as dog-ears, that would only be addressed with a formal lower body lift. Many patients find the results of a tummy tuck dramatic enough, but occasionally want to complete the lower body lift procedure.  

Hope that helps.

Dr. B

Lower body lift

After you’ve reached your goal weight, I suggest a lower body lift. Each area lifted could be treated with liposuction, as well as trimmed for excess skin, leaving you with a body you may feel more comfortable in.

Tummy tuck + Lipo candidate, some advices:

Thanks for your question and congratulations on your weight loss.

In this regard, I'm totally agree with you, therefore i recommend you a Full Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour.

Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

What procedure for me?

Hello and thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss. 

In my hands I believe the best procedure for you is a lower body lift with auto augmentation of your buttocks and hips. The hip flap is designed to help increase or maintain your hip / waist ratio. 

Depending on how much more weight you lose I would also suggest at the same time as the lower body lift, is perform decompression liposuction of your thighs. 

6 months later I would then perform a thigh lift.

Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lower body lift

A lower body  lift is likely to be the better of the two operations but you would have to be seen in person. Best of luck.

Body lift

Hello and thank you for your question.  Congratulations on your weight loss. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for lower body.  This can be done through a low incision, all completely below the bikini line.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Extended TT vs Bodylift

Your body has endured some dramatic weight changes and thus all the loose skin.  You most certainly need a bodylift.  Another ripple to add to the equation involves your buttocks.  Most massive weight loss patients lose volume in their buttocks.  In addition, the loss of integrity of the skin causes elongation of the buttocks.  That is what creates that long, flat, deflated look.  A bodylift in and of itself will not always correct that.  Plastic surgeons have devised "auto-augmentation" procedures for the body lift using the gluteus maximus muscle and overlying fat.  That should tell you something.

If you were my patient, I would recommend a BBL in addition to a TT.  I would do the body lift in stages with stage I being a TT/BBL and stage II being the thigh/back lift.  There a lot of fine plastic surgeons in Atlanta.  Start collecting opinions.   

Tummy tuck or lower body lift

Congratulations on your weight loss. I think you would benefit greatly from a tummy tuck and thigh buttock lift. When these procedures are combined, its usually called a lower body lift. Whether they are done together or separately is up to you, but both in my opinion are necessary for the best result possible. Depending on your exam after you get down to your goal weight I may recommend liposuction. I believe your results will be amazing

Eric Weiss MD

Eric Weiss, MD, FACS
Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin

From your photos you appear to be a good candidate for a body lift or circumferential abdominoplasty. This will help with your buttock outer hips and waist as well as your abdomen. I use this approach to maximize skin removal. 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hello, thanks for share your case and photos with us, first i want to congratulate you! becasue its not easy do what you do!, them i recomemd you to start with back lipo and tummy tuck, with that you are going to get excelent results, in a second time you can do your tights. its important for you  to know that you need minimun 2  procedures to reach your goal , becasue all in one procedure is to risk for you, and first is your wellness!, have a nice day!

Jean Paul Giudicelli Saba, MD