Which procedure would give me the most dramatic results? (Extended Tummy tuck vs lower body lift). (photos)

I lost 113lbs a few years ago. Then I had a baby in 2014 and gained 75lbs. I've lost 42lbs and have 33lbs to go to my ideal body weight (147lbs). My lower body is very fat. After reaching my goal weight I plan to have some sort of body contouring done and I want to get rid of as much skin on my abdomen as possible but I also want some tightening of my thighs. And, I have a dimple deformity on my left buttock that I want fixed.

Tummy tuck vs lower body lift

Hi Akura,

Thank you for your question and attached photos.  Congratulations on your weight loss!!!  With regards to your ideal procedure, it would require an in person exam.  Based on the photos, it appears that you could benefit from either an extended abdominoplasty or a body lift.  With an abdominoplasty alone, it is important to know that you will likely have some excess on eight side, referred to as dog-ears, that would only be addressed with a formal lower body lift. Many patients find the results of a tummy tuck dramatic enough, but occasionally want to complete the lower body lift procedure.  

Hope that helps.

Dr. B

Palo Alto Physician

Extended vs circumferential tummy tuck

A tummy tuck which is also referred to as an abdominoplasty is a procedure to enhance the appearance of the abdomen.  It consists of 3 basic steps:

1. Skin removal and tightening
  2. Subcuataneous fat removal
  3. Muscle tightening

The recovery is very similar to a C-Section or Hysterectomy recovery.  The first week lifting is limited to 15 lbs maximum and the patients usually walk slowly and bend over.  The second week the weight limitaion is increased to 30 pounds and more normal walking.  After the second week many patients return to work if it is more sedentary, active work jobs and heavy lifting, pulling or straining are still difficult for another 2 weeks.  Most women need help with small children for the first week.

Vigorous physical activity and contact sports are limited for 4-6 weeks.  Everyone's recovery is different, and everyone's tummy tuck is different, the recovery time will vary from individual to individual.

This is a wonderfull operation that will make the tummy flat FOREVER, WITHOUT SIT-UPS!!  But, you have to be willing to trade the appearance for the scar, which is long, but well placed, and hidden in all clothing and bathing suits.

The difference between an extended tummy tuck and a lower body lift or circumferential tummy tuck is just the length of the incision around into the back side.  This can be determined during an in depth consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs body contouring procedures routinely.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Total Body Contouring After Weight Loss

Congratulations on your recent weight loss!  All of your hard work will be so worth it once all of your excess skin is removed.  When considering which procedure would be best for you, this truly requires an in-person evaluation as vectors of skin laxity and skin excess vary tremendously from patient to patient.  We have many major weight loss patients that can require any combination of skin excision procedures.  Determining which is best for you depends on your body and what your goals are.  With many weight loss patients, multiple procedures are required to achieve your desired results safely.  Staging surgeries often entails strategic planning and should encourage discussion between you and your board certified plastic surgeon.  Going on several consultations can ensure that you find the surgeon who is best fitted for you and your plan.  Good luck on your journey!

Stanley Okoro, MD

Lower body lift

After you’ve reached your goal weight, I suggest a lower body lift. Each area lifted could be treated with liposuction, as well as trimmed for excess skin, leaving you with a body you may feel more comfortable in.

Morris Ritz, MB, BCh, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck + Lipo candidate, some advices:

Thanks for your question and congratulations on your weight loss.

In this regard, I'm totally agree with you, therefore i recommend you a Full Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour.

Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

What procedure for me?

Hello and thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss. 

In my hands I believe the best procedure for you is a lower body lift with auto augmentation of your buttocks and hips. The hip flap is designed to help increase or maintain your hip / waist ratio. 

Depending on how much more weight you lose I would also suggest at the same time as the lower body lift, is perform decompression liposuction of your thighs. 

6 months later I would then perform a thigh lift.

Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lower body lift

A lower body  lift is likely to be the better of the two operations but you would have to be seen in person. Best of luck.

Body lift

Hello and thank you for your question.  Congratulations on your weight loss. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for lower body.  This can be done through a low incision, all completely below the bikini line.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Extended TT vs Bodylift

Your body has endured some dramatic weight changes and thus all the loose skin.  You most certainly need a bodylift.  Another ripple to add to the equation involves your buttocks.  Most massive weight loss patients lose volume in their buttocks.  In addition, the loss of integrity of the skin causes elongation of the buttocks.  That is what creates that long, flat, deflated look.  A bodylift in and of itself will not always correct that.  Plastic surgeons have devised "auto-augmentation" procedures for the body lift using the gluteus maximus muscle and overlying fat.  That should tell you something.

If you were my patient, I would recommend a BBL in addition to a TT.  I would do the body lift in stages with stage I being a TT/BBL and stage II being the thigh/back lift.  There a lot of fine plastic surgeons in Atlanta.  Start collecting opinions.   

Andrew Gear, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck or lower body lift

Congratulations on your weight loss. I think you would benefit greatly from a tummy tuck and thigh buttock lift. When these procedures are combined, its usually called a lower body lift. Whether they are done together or separately is up to you, but both in my opinion are necessary for the best result possible. Depending on your exam after you get down to your goal weight I may recommend liposuction. I believe your results will be amazing

Eric Weiss MD

Eric Weiss, MD, FACS
Orange Park Plastic Surgeon