What are my options for tattoo removal? Is excision an option? (Photo)

Due to the white and pink color within the tattoo, laser removal is not an option. Would I be a candidate for excision? This tattoo is a week old and not what I originally wanted. The size and design is all wrong and it has made me really unhappy.

Tattoo Removal/Excision--Laser Tattoo Removal --Takes a series of treatments After Healing

Rather then excision, lasers can be used to remove this tattoo, but will take a series of treatments. The PicoWay Laser would be a good choice. White ink can be a challenge to remove, so please see an expert for a formal consultation. Best, Dr. Emer

What are my options for tattoo removal?

Hello, thank you for your question and for including a photo. We would not recommend excision. Laser tattoo removal should be an option for you. The latest technology in laser tattoo removal is pico-second technology. The PicoWay Laser (Candela/Syneron) uses photoacoustic impact/pressure waves rather than photothermal/heat.  This process has less heat, therefore it is more comfortable and the chances of hyperpigmentation are less.  The Pico-second pulse shatters the ink into even smaller particles, allowing the body to more easily absorb the ink. This technology can usually remove a tattoo in about half as many treatments as the traditional Q-switch devices. 532 wave length can be used on red ink successfully, white can make it more of a challenge because it is void of color, therefore there is no target. You should check in your are to see of this technology is available.

Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

the tattoo is quite large. if it was a  linear and slightly skinnier tattoo I could've operated on it and surgically removed it. but Im sorry its too wide for a surgical excision. even a staged excision is not an option here. better off with a laser for tattoo removal. you can see some of the pics of my tattoo surgery on my profile page

Misbah Khan MD, FAAD, FACMS