What are my opinions to get my nipples to look normal? Scar revision, silicone sheets, laser, shots???? (photos)

I had a reduction then 6 months later 360 under the muscle implants. The scar is crippling at time and shows through my shirts if I don't wear a bra. I have lumpy scar tissue I can feel in my breast. I do plan on getting a nipple surgery for my flat nipple. Should I wait until I'm ready to do nipple surgery to repair this or start now. What are my options? Do you suggest a scar revision? Is it likely to scar like this again. Should I do a shot or some type of gel. Thanks in advance!

Nipple look normal

Thanks for your question.

Some day you could take scar revision but not now.

You had better take scar treatment program. (home care with gel sheet, triamcinolone injection, taping, laser treatment..... one year.)

After that, if the scar area was lessened, then you can take surgery (scar revision)

Good luck and have a wonderful day.

South Korea Plastic Surgeon

Nipple issue

It looks like you had some healing issues on the left side. Scar revision may be possible and may give a better result. You should discuss the possibility with your surgeon.

Very hard to give exact surgical recommendations without in person examinations.......................

Scar revision

Although some skin types are more prone to heavy scarring, there are options to try and minimize this.  It also appears that you have had some healing issues associated with your scars.  It takes about a year to a year and a half for a scar to fully flatten, fade, and mature.  During that period of time you can still manipulate the scar somewhat using various scar creams, adhesives, injections, etc.  While these treatments may have an effect on the thickness of your scars, they won't change the width of your scars.  For that, you will probably need a scar revision procedure. 

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Revision of Scars

From the look of your photos, I think you'd be better served with a scar revision rather than laser therapy and this can be done at the time of your nipple procedure. Talk this over with your plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

What are my opinions to get my nipples to look normal? Scar revision, silicone sheets, laser, shots????

Thank you for your photographs and questions.  Unfortunately it appears that you had some wound healing issues around your nipple-areola complex with your breast reduction leading to widened flat scarring.  At this point I would wait until your results have fully matured and your skin has returned to a normal texture and consistency before pursuing a scar revision.  Then in the immediate healing period follow a multimodal treatment plan to prevent recurrence.  

Revision

We have less control over scars than patients give us credit for. It looks to me like there may have been areas that had delayed healing or infection or separation----were there? If so, these would likely do better with surgical revision and normal healing. Other areas less so. Discuss this with your surgeon.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Speak with your surgeon

I am so sorry that you are having such a bad experience with your scars. Everyone scars differently and it is one of the potential downsides do this surgery. Laser will help with redness but will make the brown worse so I don't think that is an option. I would speak with your surgeon re: scar revision surgery when you do your nipples. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Scars from anchor breast reduction

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction/implants.

1. I am sorry about these scars -
  2. Ask your surgeon for guidance - silicone sheets are helpful but may not work so long after surgery.
  3. Laser will fade the redness but make the brown discoloration worse.
  4. My thought is that a  scar revision at the time of nipple surgery with one month of pre-treatment with 4% hydroquinone twice  a day, followed by 6 weeks of tape support and silicone strips may be the best answer.
  5. Where scars are lumpy, they can be injected with steroid to flatten them
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Scar revision will be necessary at some point in the future.

The scars appear to be biologically active but in areas where they have spread only a scar revision is going to improve this. Postoperatively there should be fairly aggressive monitoring of the wound remodeling to try to prevent a recurrence.