Numbness, worried. Any suggestions?

I had breast augmentation 3 weeks ago and I have feeling on my right breast buy my left breast is still numb I can't feel my nipple and all around just feel numb is this normal? Will o get my feeling back?

Numbness after breast augmentation

At only 3 weeks after surgery, some numbness is common.  Nerves can take a minimum of 12 weeks to heal, but most continue to change in sensation for up to 2-3 years after surgery.  Patience is key.

Dr. Kavali

Numbness, worried. Any suggestions?

At only 3 weeks post operative this is not uncommon. The sensations will return with time. Best of luck. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Numbness

Thank you for your question! Sensation in the breast and nipple is important and can change after surgery. Everyone is different and it really depends on what kind of surgery you had and sensation you had even before surgery. Sometimes numbness gets better but it can take weeks or months for it to improve, and some patients may always have some areas that remain numb. It is important to see your surgeon and they can also help address your concerns in person. Best of luck, MMT

Numbness, worried. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your numbness.  After an augmentation the nerves of the skin are stretched as a result of swelling and the increased volume of the implants. This stretching irritates the nerves which can cause a number of different nipple and breast skin sensations including increased/decreased sensitivity or a burning/electrical feeling. These normally resolve spontaneously given enough time, sometimes up to 6 months or more.  Hang in there and be sure to mention these issues to your surgeon during your post-operative appointments.

Post Op Numbness

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent procedure! Numbness is sometimes a side effect for most women, however it is only short term. Your body is still healing and will experience different zingers and occasional numbness at times. You are still very early in the healing process. Should you have additional pain or concerns, do not hesitate to schedule a follow up visit with your surgeon or their medical staff. Good luck and congratulations, again!

Numbness

Congratulations on your new look! Numbness is one of the risks of surgery, however for most women, it is temporary. It could take up to a year for your sensation to return. You are very early in your healing phase, so just give it time.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon