Nose reshaping device deformed my nose?

I don't want to provide pictures right now, but a nose reshaping device (the cheap ones you buy online) has deformed my nose. I used it for approximately one year, and it has made my nose bigger, asymmetrical, and the cartilage is now bumpy. It has also made my nose hooked and perpetually swollen. Are these results reversible with rhinoplasty?

Nasal changes

The changes in the nose from a devices applies pressure constantly can lead to cartilage deformities and even bony changes.  I rhinoplasty can certainly address those changes and make the nose better.

Dr. J 

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose reshaping device deformed my nose?

Thank you for your question. If you are unhappy with the look of your nose, you think that you would be much happier after a rhinoplasty operation; if you had an accident and the shape of your nose got worsened after this accident; then you can be a good candidate for rhinoplasty operation. It is a well-known fact that individuals with feeling themselves beautiful have higher self-esteem. Therefore; if the look or functionality of your nose bothers you, you can get benefit from a rhinoplasty operation

Nose reshaping device

There is no evidence to support a new permanent shape to a nose after using reshaping devices.  There are times when docs will use splints or bolsters after surgery to control healing forces, but their effectiveness lies in the recent surgical status.  

How your nose became suboptimal to you is probably not as important as what your options are now for the future.  A consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgery will help you navigate your choices, including approaches (open vs endonasal), tip redefinition steps (sutures vs grafts vs both), bridge reduction (visible with image software), and recovery assistance (external or internal splints).  And I would agree that you doc would love to see what you used as a reshaping device, even just out of medical/commercial curiosity.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Doubtful a nose reshaping device externally applied would generate permanent changes to the nose.

I doubt the device created an irreversible situation. Nevertheless when changes have totally ceased after discontinuation of the device and in person consultation with the plastic surgeon will be necessary to determine what can be done to change her nose from where it is now to what it is you want to end up with

Nose Reshaping Device Gone Wild

I would suggest meeting with a rhinoplasty surgeon to evaluate your nose. Rhinoplasty can help to reshape the nose.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

It sounds like the device has created inflammation, discontinue its use!

Many of those problems can be improved through rhinoplasty.  There is no perfect nose, but if you go a facial plastic surgeon well trained in rhinoplasty you will see improvement

Best of Luck

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

If your nose has deviation or a bump, it is highly likely that a rhinoplasty can correct this for you...

Anonymous555, I can understand why you don't want to show your photos; quick fixes offered over the Internet or anonymous emails are typically a good way to not only waste money but at times cause more problems. See an experienced surgeon that does "only faces" and has great photos. See the video and good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scarring on nose

Sorry to hear about your experience. I would find a board certified rhinoplasty specialist in your area who can examine your nose and determine the best plan for you. Scarring or other issues caused by the device would be different from a standard rhinoplasty and must be approached properly. 

All the best Dr S

Travis L. Shaw, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose reshaping device deformed my nose?

I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon