Is it normal for part of the areola to be missing after gynecomastia surgery?

My son had gynecomastia surgery 3 weeks ago & has a hematoma on the left and it was bleeding through his bandage 2 weeks post op. The dr told me to change the bandage & it appears that part of th areola is missing. It looks white like when you skin your knee. Is this normal?

Areola Reshaped After Surgery

In addition to correcting the difference between breast sizes, the areola often shrinks when gynecomastia excision is performed. In more pronounced cases, the areola may even be larger. When the glandular tissue is removed, the areola symmetry may improve.

Excision can sometimes remove a small piece of the areola for the incision, and this is usually expected to heal over time as the scars mature and settle. If you find yourself concerned about the final results it is best to visit your surgeon and make sure that healing has progressed well. Good luck!