Is this necrosis? (photos)

Does this look like its the beginning of necrosis ??

No, I do not see necrosis, perhaps you have small stitch abscess issues. If concerned, speak with your surgeon.

Is this necrosis

What I see is not necrosis. You have a small area where the underlying sutures are popping through, a frequent issue with many surgeries. There is no need to debride or pull anything off. Just follow your surgeon's recommendations and that will all heal on its own. In  a small number of cases a stitch will pop through and your surgeon can easily trim that for you. 

Julio Garcia, MD

From your photo that is not necrosis.The small opening is a stitch spitting. The rest of your incision line looks good.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

No, you have what is probably a little stich abscess.  No antibiotics by mouth are required.  Usually a piece of absorbable suture is festering.  It will look like that until the tuture either absorbs or falls out, then it will clear up.Keep it clean by washing with soap and water and apply a little antibiotic ointment and keep it covered.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Necrosis after breast surgery

Your photos do not show anything close to necrosis.  Please call your own surgeon to be seen, treated, and reassured.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Thank you for your question and pictures.  No, this is just a single stitch which has spit through the wound.  This is fairly common at the junction of the vertical and areola or horizontal scar.  See you PS in case he stitch is still there because it will impede healing.  Otherwise, it looks like you are healing quite well nicely.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Contact your surgeon wiht questions.

I agree with what others have suggested. Please contact your board certified plastic surgeon when you have any post-operative questions. It is important for your surgeon to be aware of any concerns that you may have.

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Is this necrosis?

Thank you for your question and the photos.  Judging from the photos alone, it does not appear that you have necrosis.  As others have suggested, it is most likely one of the sutures coming to the surface and irritating the skin. This is a problem that can easily be resolved in a very quick appointment with your plastic surgeon.    Best of luck to you.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Small Wound After Breast Lift Surgery

Your photos do not show any evidence of necrosis, which is good news. That small opening at the T-junction between the bottom of the areola and the vertical incision is an area that can tend to heal more slowly given the blood supply. You may have a small piece of exposed suture material that, if removed, would help the area heal more quickly. I would contact your plastic surgeon - it looks like something that could easily be taken care of during an office visit.

Ashley B. Robey, MD

Necrosis is tissue death, and you have no evidence of this based on your photos. It does appear that you may have a "spitting" suture that the nurses or qualified medical staff should be able to take care of in the office. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD, FACS