Is the Natrelle Inspira smooth and textured the same consistency?

I felt a Natrelle smooth full profile implant in a surgeon's office. However my PS insists on using textured. I do not like the firmness of the "gummy bear" textured implants and was wondering if these were like those

We are at a crossroads with silicone gel technology, and sometimes it's confusing

The good news and the bad news is that we are currently at the crossroads of the older "4th generation" cohesive gel implants and the newer "5th generation" HIGHLY cohesive gel, or "gummy bear" implants.  This is good because in many ways the highly cohesive gel has some advantages over the older generations, but it is not so good because it causes a lot of confusion.  This is made worse by the fact that there are 3 manufacturers in the US who are approved to sell breast implants (I guess we should be sort of happy we're not in Europe where there are about 30!), and each company has its own brand names and "twists" that they apply to the technology.  Mind you, none of this has anything to do with the surface texturing yet, it is still all about the gel.  More about texturing in a moment.  

The older 4th generation cohesive gels are not as cohesive, or solid, as the newer 5th generation gels, so they will feel somewhat softer, regardless of the surface of the implant.  It gets a bit more confusing with Allergan too, as they offer two different types of cohesive 4th generation gel for their round implants.  One is a bit firmer than the other, but they are both still cohesive gel, not the true  "gummy bear" type.  They do this essentially because the more solid the gel is, the more likely it is to hold its shape and projection.  The Inspira implants are also filled slightly differently than the classic Natrelles, and this will make them project a bit more and hold their shape without rippling, too.  All of the Natrelle Inspira implants are still the 4th generation cohesive gel technology, so they will feel softer than the textured highly cohesive "gummy bear" implants from Allergan.  Interestingly, Allergan's highly cohesive gel is the stiffest of the "gummy bear" gels amongst the 3 in the US, so if that is what you felt, it may feel a bit more firm for that reason too.  In reality, all of those implants still produce a very nice, soft, natural feeling breast once in the tissues.  It is also worth noting that Sientra is currently the only manufacturer in the US which is approved to sell both round and shaped implants with 5th generation highly cohesive, or "gummy bear" gel.  Thus, if you were truly being offered the Allergan "gummy bear" implant, it could only have been the shaped style 410, which would have more differences than just the feel of the silicone gel.  I wonder if you weren't told that the slightly more cohesive gel in the textured round Allergan Inspira was a "gummy bear," when in reality, that wouldn't be entirely accurate.  The fact that you used the term "full profile," which is a Natrelle Inspira term, leads me to think this may be the case.  Make sure you clarify this with your surgeon.

With regard to texturing, all of the companies have their own texturing process, and none of them will affect the feel of the gel itself.  It will still be the same gel inside.  Allergan's texturing to me is the most aggressive, and that may affect the overall feel of the implant, taking gel stiffness and shell mobility into consideration, but the gel itself won't be affected by the texturing process.  We use textured implants because the texturing will help prevent things like rotation and migration of the implants, and it can also help reduce the chances of capsule contracture in some cases.  Again, all of the shaped implants on the market are true "gummy bear" gel, and they are all textured.  However, you can also find round textured implants manufactured by all of the companies, the only difference is that Sientra's will be true 5th generation "gummy bear" gel, while Allergan and Mentor will be some form of 4th generation cohesive gel.  

I hope I haven't confused you more with this terminology, but there are a lot things to know, and the terminology gets very confusing real fast.  The best thing to do if you aren't clear about this is to keep asking your surgeon for clarification and make sure that you don't proceed with surgery until you are completely satisfied that you understand all that you need to know.  If you don't feel that your surgeon is willing or able to explain things to you to your satisfaction, I would try getting another opinion and see if can't find a better rapport with another surgeon.  I think educating our patients and helping them understand what is happening to THEIR bodies is one of the most important, yet often overlooked by surgeons and patients alike, functions that we should be doing.  Good luck.

So Many Implant Choices

We need to define what are the characteristics of the gel implants. First, name. Natrelle is the brand name of Allergan implants. Second, content.  All smooth Natrelle gel implants (including Inspira) have the same type of cohesive gel. This gel is also used in textured implants. Third, texture. The textured implants simply have a different surface. Some will argue that this is important. Fourth, gummy bears. The gummy bear implants are highly cohesive (sort of soft solid). They are (presently) all anatomically shaped and are textured. 
You are right, gummy bears are firmer than other gel implants. Sometimes, that's a good feature, sometimes not. Having all these options can be great, but it can also be confusing. Work with your plastic surgeon. Take your time.You will find a good solution.

Peter D. Geldner, MD

Cohesive textured Implants

If your Implants are round but textured- the surface texture, not neccessarily cohesivity is where the difference will be. Ask your Plastic Surgeon to let you know the exact type of implant you will be using.
All the best  

The Inspira are still the 4th generation implant silicone gel..they are not the...

gummy bear, 5th generation gel, or highly cohesive gel implants. The difference from Inspira is the fill ratio from the previous Allergan (Inamed) style 10,15,20 implant lines.  These are excellent implants but are not gummy bears.  The textured aspect is just a surface treatment that helps maintain placement over time.  I like textured as well, but use both.  My experience of over 5000 breast implants has been very good with textured in the right patient.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Textured vs smooth

Some patients feel that the textured implants do not move around the same way as smooth implants.  I prefer smooth implants.

Thank you for you question.  The gummy bear implants are the thickest silicone gel that is available on the market today, while the Natrelle  and Inspira lines are just a bit thinner.  The difference between the Natrelle and Inspira lines is based on the different "fill" percentages that each maintains, with the Inspira being more filled than the Natrelle.  Depending on your desired appearance and your preference in gels, your board certified plastic surgeon should be able to steer you to the best implants for you. 

Inspira smooth and textured have the same gel

Inspira implants have a higher fill percentage than the previous round implants so they ripple less. Textured might feel a little bit firmer because of the shell, not the gel in the implant. "Gummy bear" implants, more correctly called "form-stable," have a firmer gel in them in order to hold the shape. They are always textured to help them stick in place and not rotate.

Richard Baxter, MD