Is this a mole? What is it? (Photo)

So sometime in the last few weeks this brown splotch has shown up in the bottom of my pinky toe... It will not wash off and has been there a week now. I'm scared it is skin cancer. What do you think it is? My husband think it's dried up blood under the skin. The photos were taken about a week apart.

Foot Spot -- Seek an Expert

I suggest consulting with a board certified dermatologist for an in person evaluation and treatment. This looks like blood under the skin and would be best evaluated. Best, Dr. Emer

New lesions

Thank you for your question. I cannot diagnose or tell you what the lesion is through photographs because the spot needs to be evaluated with an instrument called a dermatoscope, which allows a physician to assess the lesion under higher magnification. Could your husband be correct that the lesion is dried blood under the skin? Possibly. But could it be a mole? Possibly. I understand new or rapidly changing lesions are worrisome, therefore, I highly recommend you consult with a board certified dermatologist to have your lesion evaluated, and if there are any abnormalities, then a biopsy should be done. Take care and good luck.

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD