Mini tummy tuck recovery?! What should I expect?

What recovery should I expect with a mini tummy tuck. I have a 13 month old and am concerned about lifting him in and out of crib. PS said one week. After reading these reviews and what not I feel like that would be non realistic.

Mini Tummy Tuck Recovery

Thanks for your question.  Each surgeon has their own opinion on this, but for me, I think one week is too soon to be lifting your 13 month old.  I generally give a range more like 4 weeks (depending on how the individual is healing) in this given situation.  I hope this is helpful.

Mini Tummy Tuck Recovery

Many patients think that the recovery from a mini tummy tuck will be a prolonged, painful and arduous, but if a rapid recovery, NO Drain protocol is used, the recovery from a mini tummy tuck or a full tummy tuck is usually about the same, 24 to 36 hours.

With this recovery protocol, most patients should be back able to lift their child in and out of a crib within a few days after a mini tummy tuck.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

What to know about mini tummy tuck recovery

A mini tummy tuck is not really different in terms of recovery for most patients, but if you are not having a muscle repair then your recovery will be fairly quick. You should definitely plan for help but your own surgeon knows best what to expect for your specific case.

Richard Baxter, MD

Mini tummy tuck recovery

There are several factors which come into play when deciding when lifting can be done after any tummy tuck surgery.

An average 13 month old is probably in the 22-24 lbs range and I consider this significant weight.

I doubt you and your surgeon have planned any muscle tightening based on his recommendation regarding lifting your child 1 week after surgery. If muscle tightening is performed in a tummy procedure. lifting restrictions are usually a few months.

The tension on the incision at closure is also a consideration. Any incision is reliant on the sutures to keep things together until the strength of the scar increases. This is a 2-3 week process where the scar gains strength the fastest.

If only skin and fat are being removed, it is tension across the incision that is the enemy of good healing and scarring. Increasing tension on the skin closure in this case is mostly created by straightening up. For example, doing a back bend would be the most stressful thing on a mini tummy tuck incision. Lifting something without straightening up, would add little stress to the skin closure incision.

Your surgeon is the best source of these restrictions as he/she know the procedure to be performed and the other factors that go into this decision.

Good luck with your surgery!

Frederick K. Park, MD
Rocky Mount Plastic Surgeon

Mini tuck recovery

Hi jjones1021. The answer is closely related to your son's weight. A mini tummy tuck that includes muscle tightening, fat & skin removal without belly button reshaping/repositioning would require minimal activity for the first week (walking, lifting