Is this a mini or full and scar too high? (photos)

I'm only 7 days post op from a mini tummy tuck. Dr me he would make a 5-4 in incision, bring down the extra skin, and done. The day of surgery he marked me and I said, "Um, isn't that a large mark?" He said, "Oh, we'll really mark it when we get in there. And here's where your vertical incision will be." Wait, why? "It's needed." He said at the first meeting my bb was high enough we wouldn't touch it. But THAT was the vert incision! And it looks like a full TT, and my scar won't hide. Help!

Mini vs full tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. From your pictures it appears that you had a full tummy tuck. With a mini tummy tuck there isn't an incision around the belly button. I would discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

TT

I think you need to have a frank discussion with your plastic surgeon. It sounds like you have legitimate concerns that they should address with you directly. I agree with the others that the incision is more consistent with a full tummy tuck.

Asaf Yalif, MD
Roswell Plastic Surgeon

Scar too high

From the pictures this looks like a full tummy tuck,  You should really reach out to your plastic surgeon and express your concerns to him/her.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck results

This appears to be a full tummy tuck, rather than a mini.

Personally, I prefer a much lower scar placement.  Best to speak with your surgeon.

Is my scar from a mini or full TT?

Thanks for the question.  The scar that you have is from a full TT, and  it appears to be a little high and asymmetric.  This could be discussed  with your Plastic Surgeon. 

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full TT

Thank you for your question. Based on the picture it look like you underwent a Full TT with umbilical transposition with small vertical incision. Please talk to your PS for clarification and express your concerns about scar placement

Understanding tummy tuck variations

The pictures show a full tummy tuck with a T-closure. That is one of many variations. I agree that the scar is higher than ideal.

Richard Baxter, MD

Full Tummy Tuck

The picture and description seems to be a full tummy tuck. If your belly button has been moved and you see sutures around it, it's a full tummy tuck. The vertical incision also indicates the old spot of the belly button that couldn't be completely removed at the bottom. Your incision is elevated. Although it seems that a discussion about a mini tummy tuck occurred, the end result is different than what you had anticipated. Discuss with your surgeon your concerns and determine what the outcome will be and any possible alternatives. 

Gary Vela, MD, FACS

FUll TT

I am sorry this happened to you. You absolutely had a full TT with umbilical transposition with a small vertical scar. The vertical has to do with the amount of skin that can be stretched down to close to the lower transverse scar. After things stretch out and settle a little, you could likely have a revision of the procedure in attempt to remove the vertical scar and lower the transverse scar a little, this is difficult, but can be done if it only needs to move a few 3cm. 

Tummy tuck

Yes-it looks like you had a full abdominoplasty.  The scar is high and has some asymmetry.  As freaked out as you are now please give yourself time.  It does look like you are going to have good contour and it takes months for the scars settle.  I am sorry that your surgeon did not communicate well with you, but try to sit down and address your issues with him.  Scar revisions to even you out and adjust the height are possible with time.  Good luck, Jane